Putting newer 20" (or 18") rims on '06

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

changes84

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Expedition with the factory 17" rims. I am needing new tires and am debating between new tires or new wheel/tire takeoffs online. In looking I have found that increasing the tires by < 1" in height should have no affect as far as rubbing but i want to make sure there arent any other concerns (tire pressure sensor, etc) by upgrading to newer factory rims. The bolt pattern hasnt changed, so i dont have concerns about the bigger wheels going on, just want to make sure i dont run into unforeseen issue. Any feedback/experiences would be appreciated.

I am looking to go from the current: 265/70R17 to the wheels/tires off of a newer Expedition: 275/55R20 (below). The actual height difference is only .3"

2015_ford_expedition_rims_lg.jpg

gborree

Reaction score
I put 20" f150 rims on my 03 and it made an awesome difference. My only issue is that the rear axle is a touch long so the center caps do not snap on. I may have to cut or grind to get them to fit.
2003Expy.jpg

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might have the same issue with the center caps in the rear. No real difference in spedometer or odometer reading or gas mileage. If there was any rubbing it would just be on the splash shields but they're easy to cut with shears.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 275 60 R20 on my 05. The only rubbing I get is when the wheel is all the way to the lock position when I'm parking in a tight spot which isn't very often. The picture is taken with the air suspension in the kneel position.

Raised White Letters 2.JPG

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have aftermarket 285/50r20 on my 2000 4x4, from what I can see, the past owner has a 1 1/2 inch lift installed. It just looks taller than stock. My tires clear fine over bumps, as well as steering left, right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BerndM

Reaction score
My 2003 EB 4X4 has all stock suspension and I replaced the original plain jane 17" with nice triple plated 20" wheels front & back.
I have 285/50/20 tires and there are zero issues with rubbing under any condition that I have encountered in over 10 years.
Sure makes the truck look a LOT better. The extra traction is very noticeable especially in the rain.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish the past owner didn't lift mine, maybe I'll pull my lift out, now that I know it will clear. I always hold my breath when I go through a parking garage. You could put a feeler gauge between my roof racks, and their sprinklers, and supports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tibwd

Reaction score
The axles have a longer thread on these XPs for some reason, and that extra length is ALL thread. Not needed. Loosen the axle nut, and cut the end of the axle enough to allow the center caps to snap into wheels. Once the piece is cut off, remove the nut to chase the threads, and reinstall Very easy to do. Grinder with cutoff wheel does it in a jiffy.