Question about awd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Country Boy

Reaction score
I have a 2001 expedition and i want to do away with the awd if possible. Has anybody had any luck in bypassing the awd and making it a 2wd and 4wd the with out buying a new transfer case and front diff?

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basically you put a switch on the wire that runs the A4WD off of the transfer case. This allows you to have a 2wd function as well as the A4WD. The 97-98 models had the 2H option but then for some silly reason they did away with it from 99-02. What we do with my mom's truck is just pull the fuse under the hood for the transfer case. This deactivates the magnetic clutch that runs the A4WD and essentially gives you 2WD at that point. Only pain is that if you do need 4x4, you have to put that fuse back in.

Google brown wire mod, there is plenty out there if you are going that route.

OP
OP
C

Country Boy

Reaction score
Dont have a owners manual but i done the brown wire mod and love it. I have 2wda and still have 4hi and 4lo. It does work if anybody whats to try it and dont seem to affect the handling.