Question on plugs/cop costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDExpedition

Reaction score
Ebay has cops for under $100 for the set of 8. Everything i've read, says they are gtg. Some people with over 80k on them already. Try a local mechanic and see what he says, you might save some money on the repairs.

OP
OP
7FordExpedition

7FordExpedition

Reaction score
Does Brewer vs Ford Motor Company apply in all 50 states or just Texas? Anyone know? The labor limits should apply to current work not just past plug service on these. I take it in tomorrow, I wish I could do the work myself but I cannot so I pay the piper apparently. Thanks for all the responses.

mmaylock

Reaction score
Before you spend money on COPs, you may want to pull the boots off a few cylinders and check the springs. It's possible that the connections are corroded. In my case, I had the same symptoms you did. Sluggish under hard acceleration. The dealership scoped it out and found a couple cylinders on the right bank weren't firing properly under duress. They wanted a ridiculous amount of money to replace the boots. The drivability tech mentioned to me during the test drive that they could try to use dielectric grease on the connections. I went to my local parts store, got a small packet of the dielectric grease and did all the boot springs on the right bank of cylinders. Fixed my problem for .99 cents... YMMV. Either way, it's a cheap, easy experiment that might fix your problem...

OP
OP
7FordExpedition

7FordExpedition

Reaction score
I am very puzzled this morning. Certainly frustrated. Maybe on the edge of psycopisstamania. Real close.

OK, it is September 14th. Time to take the car in for plugs/cops. Just before I left I got a call from the dealer. This is Crossroads Ford of Southern Pines ... they have a monopoly on ford dealers in and around my area. Crossroads owns them all. Anyway, I got a call.

The Service Rep was nice. BUT ... SHE CALLED TO TELL ME THAT THE COPS WERE GOING TO BE $94 EACH. That would add like another $800 to the cost of doing the job they quoted me for plugs and cops at $603. Now it is over $1000.

I talked to the parts department, Leon told me that what you guys are buying for a reasonable price and what I have found online and on Prime for a set of 8 are probably just boots not the coils. They sure look like coils but he says no. Anyway. I told them to forget it. None of the local independent shops will do plugs on these 5.4's. I soooooooo wish I could handle doing this! At this time the car sits, it is our primary vehicle but we will use it sparingly until I figure something out, probably start with getting a grandkid to help and starting with the coils.

And another question, when I looked up the cops, I got a variety of brands, copper wound, usually in a set of 8. I did not find 'boots'.

Last edited:

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A set of 8 DG-511 COPs are $232.72 at Amazon right now. Pair that with 8 plugs and you're looking at about $300 in parts.

That's what I did. COP were about $300 and the plugs were $67. I took my time.

The COP were easy to replace. Maybe start there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've stated on this site numerous times, you don't need to change coils, just the boots, on a spark plug change. The only time you change out coils, is if one starts misfiring, and throws a dtc code. The boots are just like the full size spark plug wires on earlier cap/ rotor ignition. Technically, you can use an ohm meter and measure resistance on old ones. The problem with these replacement low price coils, is they rarely work right. Theirs a reason why Ford charges $85,00 each for theirs. They work. Just like the Ford spark plugs don't misfire. If more of our members would dump codes first, they'd just be changing plugs, boots, and maybe one or two coils. Please people read the past posts, on your symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817