Question on programmers, CAI's and the relearn process

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deesko

Reaction score
I'd think the OEM ECU can adjust to the K&N cold air intake if that's the only mod. Not that I've seen photos of this intake picking up air from outside the engine bay. Anyone got a link? The ones I've seen all take air from under the hood where it's subject to engine heat.

-- Chuck

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ke/ford/model/expedition/submodel/eddie-bauer

The stock air filter housing appears to have a port along the fender side of the box that appears to draw air from outside of the engine bay into the air filter housing. That housing appears to be sealed/isolated from the engine bay for the most part.

The K&N uses the stock bottom half of the air filter housing (including that port) and replaces the top half with it's own housing that has a rubber gasket along the top that appears to directly mimic the contour of the hood which would indicate it creates a seal between the housing and the hood on the top, effectively sealing it off from the engine bay and still pulling air from the stock port.

Assuming all of this is true, the main benefit I see from the CAI is easier visual access to the air filter and *arguably* less expensive filter costs over time due to being able to reuse the K&N filter. The only actual difference in air flow that I could see would be that it's a larger diameter, straighter tube which could impact the amount of air flowing through it and the velocity but how that could result in any noticeable difference in performance I don't know/believe.

TBH, if I were to do it over again I would probably just buy the drop in reusable K&N air filter and skip the CAI. It seems to be more hassle than it's worth in general, JMO. Then again, the results of the CAI may just be a function of a lame tune and that opinion could change with a well done custom tune.

We'll see. The tinkering continues (which is honestly half the fun) and at least my kids are learning more about engines by watching/helping.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ke/ford/model/expedition/submodel/eddie-bauer

The stock air filter housing appears to have a port along the fender side of the box that appears to draw air from outside of the engine bay into the air filter housing. That housing appears to be sealed/isolated from the engine bay for the most part.

The K&N uses the stock bottom half of the air filter housing (including that port) and replaces the top half with it's own housing that has a rubber gasket along the top that appears to directly mimic the contour of the hood which would indicate it creates a seal between the housing and the hood on the top, effectively sealing it off from the engine bay and still pulling air from the stock port.

Assuming all of this is true, the main benefit I see from the CAI is easier visual access to the air filter and *arguably* less expensive filter costs over time due to being able to reuse the K&N filter. The only actual difference in air flow that I could see would be that it's a larger diameter, straighter tube which could impact the amount of air flowing through it and the velocity but how that could result in any noticeable difference in performance I don't know/believe.

TBH, if I were to do it over again I would probably just buy the drop in reusable K&N air filter and skip the CAI. It seems to be more hassle than it's worth in general, JMO. Then again, the results of the CAI may just be a function of a lame tune and that opinion could change with a well done custom tune.

We'll see. The tinkering continues (which is honestly half the fun) and at least my kids are learning more about engines by watching/helping.
I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of CAIs. That being said, you can find Dyno testing videos on YouTube that show that naturally aspirated engines actually do get a horse power boost from a CAI - turbo engines, not so much.