Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SVT Radiator probably is bigger, it came off of a supercharged truck that would need extra cooling.

But we are talking about the difference between SSV and standard Expy. Wiki has never been wrong for me.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you shouldnt have any problems. my truck came from florida, survived while i was stationed there, survived the trip to california in the summer (going through mountains and whatnot), and has survived SoCal and desert offroad trips with no problem. i do not know if it is single or double, so i wont tell you one way or the other. I can just tell you that with a stock radiator in FL and CA, no problems here!

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I don't know what size mine is either and I'm not having any problems... I'm just a preventative type of guy...I know its the original and want to replace the factory fan with electric fans....and if I dive into for that...its gonna get a new radiator...and I would have rather have bigger...and can control the temp with the fans...not only that the bigger rad also come with a bigger internal trans cooler...the cooler things are the longer the life....I guess I just wonder what happened when you bought a police car everything was bigger and better..sounds like Ford dropped the ball and these Police Expeditions...

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SVT Radiator probably is bigger, it came off of a supercharged truck that would need extra cooling.

But we are talking about the difference between SSV and standard Expy. Wiki has never been wrong for me.

You're right. My mistake. I misread the post and thought we were talking about the SVT rad. compared to the stock Expi. rad.

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what size mine is either and I'm not having any problems... I'm just a preventative type of guy...I know its the original and want to replace the factory fan with electric fans....and if I dive into for that...its gonna get a new radiator...and I would have rather have bigger...and can control the temp with the fans...not only that the bigger rad also come with a bigger internal trans cooler...the cooler things are the longer the life....I guess I just wonder what happened when you bought a police car everything was bigger and better..sounds like Ford dropped the ball and these Police Expeditions...

Without actually knowing for sure, I cant say. BUT I would assume/ or guess, that it could be bigger. Police vehicles are constantly running, with little to no break to allow them to cool off. Sometimes for 12+ hours straight! It would make sense if the radiator was upgraded, but then again, its Ford, and they are notorious for cutting the wrong corners. Unless when they ran tests they determined that what we have in our "street" trucks, was sufficient for SSV's as well.

My suggestion: If you're worried about it, upgrade it to an SVT radiator if you can find one. They're relatively cheap. Especially compared to some of the aftermarket options. And while you're in there, you might as well do a Navigator water pump and also a new thermostat.
E-fans are my next modification to complete the cooling system.

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
So on my 2000 I would ask for a water pump for a 2000 nav instead..or is it year specific for the one you are talking about.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for all the feed back...with moving to Florida I am concerned with the heat build up...I really am thinking of a performance radiator 2 row that I have seen and adding the Troyer dual electric fan kit eliminating the factory fan and shroud and they also have a trans cooler with fan kit...Mine has the dual factory oil and trans cooler now.. I'm also concerned if this has those smog-ed down cats for California or was this here in Michigan and didn't have to be snogged down? I had the dealer run me a build sheet and sheet on my truck..but nothing jumped our at me....also what is more special with the special service package as a standard Expo. shocks, brakes,alternator, cooling...anything in engine performance or trans? ford seems quit on what they did...anyway I have more time than money to play around with truck....my A/C COMPESSER is starting make in the clutch and also I see leeks around seal on the compressor...Radiator 3 row would have some advantaged to run things cool...this the part of retirement that buck me....I just want a tough truck to last a wilre....

living in fla i can say that my temp gauge stays closer to C than H even on 90+ days and hours of city driving. Sometimes AC takes a while to cool down but it still gets cold eventually

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
are you reading the factory gauges...if so they lie...at least mine do...whether mine is running at 180 or 210 the gauge is in the same spot...my Edge shows how temp. varies...

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you reading the factory gauges...if so they lie...at least mine do...whether mine is running at 180 or 210 the gauge is in the same spot...my Edge shows how temp. varies...

yeah im reading the factory gauges, and it has never got above 1/2 way between C&H, they work for me right now until i get my tires on Then I am for sure getting an edge tuner. I also keep my resevoir full of coolant and I have never put anti freeze in the truck lol, coldest it ever gets here is high 30's and thats RARE!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69