Rattling Noise from Driver-Side Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've owned my 06 Limited for about 7 months now and shortly after I purchased it started to notice a rattling noise coming from either the rear driver side door or the front driver side door - haven't been able to pin point it yet. It's a noise that feels almost as if the door is not fully shut - but it is! It happens with the smallest bumps on the road, but loud rattles with the bigger bumps or pot holes.

I've tried applying pressure to the door as I'm driving by pulling it in towards me but I'm still getting the rattling noise.

My project this weekend is to take the door panel off and take a peek inside; but wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? Not sure if it's from inside the door; but worth a look. Could the problem be with any of the door-latch components?

Any feedback on where to look or any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rod

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its hard to say exactly what the problem is but taking off the door panels and checking everything would be a good start....

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't forget to check inside the B-pillar for the rattle too. The seat belt tensioner is in there, and I'm sure some wires run up and down there too.

OP
OP
R

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I haven't had time to dig in further into this problem, I'm still waiting for a opportunity to pull out the door panels and take a peek inside.

Stoned06 thanks for the tip - I'll have to pull out the plastics and take a peek in there as wheel.

I'll update as soon as I'm able to get my hands dirty with it... If you guys experiencing the same problems nail it before I do, let me know what it was :favorites13:

pmlock1

Reaction score
I have the same issue with rattling from the driver door.

I took my door panel off to do some PD work and noticed the actuator to unlock/lock the door was loose, thus the rattling noise. My power locks do now work for the driver door so I'm waiting for a new actuator before I pull the old one off.

OP
OP
R

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the late update, but finally had the chance to spend some time looking for the culprit last week.

As it turns out, the rattling noises were coming from the actual door lock mechanism on the doors - the piece that locks the door to the truck body. Looks like who ever owned the truck before me loved to SLAM doors. The impact absorption piece inside locking mechanism were crushed on all 4 doors, but mostly on the drivers side rear door - thus the sensation of the door being open when driving.

I'm not going to replace all 4 door locks; so the poor mans fix was to use a little bit of electrical tape around the metal anchors on the chassis to compensate for the crushed absorption piece.

Truck runs like new and reduced the interior cabin noise by 1000%. I'm yet to hear a rattle and the truck "feels" solid now.

Last edited:

04EBexpo

Reaction score
That is the best option , I have the same problem on my 04 I used painters tape