Re-wiring headlights to the battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
I've completed a search here with no results so I'm going to ask:

Have any of you rewired the headlights to draw power directly from the battery instead of the headlight switch? Reason I ask is that 1) on page 49 of the LMC Truck catalog (http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fex/full.aspx?Page=49) the company is advertising a "heavy duty headlight harness" for brighter headlights. I didn't think too much about the upgraded harness until 2) I found a similar writeup using the same concept for making a harness to achieve brighter lights on another Ford forum.

So, this leads me to believe there might be a worthwhile gain in doing this. I was thinking that rewiring the headlights, adding brighter halogens, and installing the clear headlight lenses such as the ones found here: http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=5181&highlight=headlights might be worth the time and effort.

Anyone done this?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start with the clear headlights first. You'd be surprised how much more you can see.

How many more watts are you planning on running?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on clear headlights then buy a set of HIDs and you will have brighter lights that look better and no need to re-wire anything and save you some headaches

secondechomatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but if you want usable light, steer away from the HID's in a non projector housing. looking cool is only half the battle. But, if you want to blind everyone you pass, then go for it! LOL!

The main concern I would have with doing this is if the plastic housings are up to the task of handling all of the extra heat that this is going to create. More voltage and higher wattage light = tanning bed on the front of your truck! I did it on my old bronco, but that was glass lenses and metal light housings, the expy's only have plastic all around.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
disagree with only using projectors with HID lights... the big dealers like lincon, caddy, lexus, and acura are moving back to full clear head lights with a bixenon hid set up... but for sure check out the clear lens and if needed add some driving lights

secondechomatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
right. In a housing designed to run a HID, still has a cut-off, correct reflectors, etc...

a HID setup in our stock housings, while gives that cool blue/white look, could be so much more effective with a properly designed housing.

OP
OP

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
Not sure on how many more watts I'm planning on running. Automotive electronics/electrical systems is what I have difficulty in so...

I talked with an electrical engineer tonight who looked over a writeup I found online, complete with diagrams, who reviewed everything while I asked questions over what I want to accomplish. He said the guide was good and this was an easy enough thing to complete - if I have the time to build the wiring harness. The other "idea" I had is making a complete harness that plugs in around the existing lighting wiring. I really hate cutting up factory wiring so I had thoughts about making a custom harness with factory connectors that is plug and play. However, truthfully I might be getting out of my range...

On a side note the heat question is a good one and I'll have to ask.

In a nutshell, and this relates back to my sub install thread, I asked myself what electronic things do I want to eventually add to my Expy. My answer included an amplifier for speakers and subs, off road lights, backup lights, CB radio, and this possible headlight harness upgrade.

Since I never know what else I might want to add on later I thought that maybe my best move would be to install a fuse block mounted under the hood where I could run all my power through one area.

Just some thoughts for now...