reaching spark plugs on pass side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sent out my expedition to get plugs done $65....i cant freaking reach last 2 closest to firewall on pass side.....how you guys do it if your changing on your OWN ,id like these done every year if i could do them.....txs all....

B

bedrck46

If someone is changing all plugs for $65.00 I wouldn't even worry about doing my own. Last time I did the plugs on my last 99 5.4 I loosened the fuel rails and that made a big difference

TheMightyThor

Reaction score
I just paid $537 to have my plugs,boots and 1 coil changed .... plus the cost of motorcraft plugs and boots that I supplied.... I'd do anything for $65 job LOL

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's my guess that anybody who has paid for a spark plug change on his Expedition gave up on the job without trying. IT IS NOT AS HARD AS IT LOOKS. Garages get paid well for the job not because it takes a professional a lot of time to do, but because it takes a backyard mechanic a lot of time to do.

This service is completely doable with basic skills and patience. Internet videos can be helpful to get an idea of how other guys have gained access to cylinders 4 & 8. This job is only a pain in the ass. It has come to be feared, at cost to Ford owners.

Last edited:

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't done my plugs yet but by the looks of it I here is what I would recommend for access.

-take of the air box and intake
-remove vacuum lines from throttle body
-unbolt and move aside the power steering res
-wire tie the R side cooling / AC line back towards the firewall
- pop off the fuel rail

by the looks of it doing this should give you all the space you need, at least this is my plan when I go to do mine. When I was a mechanic in the Army I learned very quickly I would rather remove stuff to get easier access to a part rather than try to remove it with a bunch of stuff in the way. I may find more to remove when I actually do the plugs but like I said, this is just what I can tell would add space after looking at the engine.

OP
OP
aircargoo

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
gonna peek at some videos...i wanna do plugs myself,i got the tools so...well.....gotta go pick up truck. i paid $362 tax and all....price went up,was told around 285...lol for spark plugs, 2 lower ball joints, align, grease "entire" front end cause its new and weld rear bracket on exhust. thats me bringing in ball joints and 8 plugs.

Last edited:

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a video out there on YouTube that is pretty good. The guy zip tied the heater hoses out of the way and it gave him better access. Don't be discouraged because it's pretty easy if you take your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As great as the web is as a resource, it needs to be blamed for the rampant fear of plug replacement. There just ain't no such thing as the Bogeyman...

B

bedrck46

I haven't done my plugs yet but by the looks of it I here is what I would recommend for access.

-take of the air box and intake
-remove vacuum lines from throttle body
-unbolt and move aside the power steering res
-wire tie the R side cooling / AC line back towards the firewall
- pop off the fuel rail.

Word of CAUTION when removing the fuel rail. Bleed off fuel pressure, be careful not to damage O-Rings, Make sure you don't loose O-Rings having an inspection mirror to check for O-Rings that may have stuck in the fuel rail is very helpful.

Also applies to drives side