Rear A/C won't blow from overhead, but is blowing from down below. Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LimoRob

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Expedition 4x4 with rear air. It blow cold and fine straight from the rear blower but the switch to make it blow from overhead doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated. Is it simply a fuse? That's what I'm thinking but I can't figure out which one if it is.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rob if it ends up being the blend door actuator you can get to it just by lifting up the cup holder on the right rear quarter panel. Here's a pic to help familiarize yourself with the location. The green circled one is the blend door actuator, the red one is the temperature control actuator.

-Mike

ExpeditionRearACActuators_zps2acd483b.jpg

GJarrett

Reaction score
Thanks for the photo - that looks like an easy fix. I'll look at it this weekend.

OP
OP
L

LimoRob

Reaction score
It was the blend door actuator. I ordered the part but in the mean time I manually turned the switch so it's blowing from overhead now. I'll replace the actuator when I get the part and have time. Thanks for all your help everyone

GJarrett

Reaction score
I didn't have time to get to it myself but will probably do the same thing for the moment - just manually turn the switch until I get the part.

GJarrett

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a '99 Explorer - very common on that model too and it is evidently the same part/unit (or very similar). The internals are simply a plastic gear that strips and all you have to do is rotate it to the position needed; there's nothing complicated about it. On the Explorer, the actuator opened/closed the blend door to move either heated air or A/C. I simply manually switched it over twice per year for summer and winter. No big deal.

It looks to me like this is the same sort of problem, but I admittedly have not done it yet. If it looks to be different and could cause problems I'll heed your advice and simply hold off until I get the part.

Last edited: