Rear A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teedup

Reaction score
My rear 2004 AC started a thumping noise and based on this I turned it off. My guess is the fan may have come off or loose. Anyway it is stuck. I am told one must remove the entire rear housing to service the rear AC and that involves removing the rear seats Etc. Is that true? Cost $1,000. Just to reinstall the fan?

Jimdar

Reaction score
Is there any airflow? More than likely it's the blend door motor running. The gears strip and it will click while the AC is on. There are two motors, one switches the air between the roof and the floor and the other motor blends in the heat. They look the same but are not interchangeable. I would check them out first. Several panels and seat belts have to be removed to fix the blend motors. it's an easy repair that will take a couple of hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

teedup

Reaction score
The real labor is getting access from what i can tell.

Jimdar

Reaction score
The real labor is getting access from what i can tell.
Yes. It's easy though. Just take your time. A lot of trim and the top bolts on the second and maybe 3rd row seat belts have to come out. None of it is hard however. Replace both blend motors, if one failed the other isn't far behind. It's a very common failure. The motors are about $50 each depending where you get them. Amazon, Ebay, Ford dealer.

I forgot to mention, The top motor can be accessed and replaced just by removing cup holder and tray. The motor on the side is trickier.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do a search on youtube for how to replace the blend door and or motors Its not as bad as it sounds Looked at a good video by

FordTechMakuloco today. His info and videos are very good