Rear Control Arm Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As many other first gen owners have experienced, my rear control arms are rotting.

I ordered replacements off eBay from an aftermarket manufacturer. They are a better design, fully-powdercoated and were a good price. Unfortunately they did not come with installation hardware and I will probably be unable to use the originals (since I think I'll have to cut them off).

I'm trying to fit the proper hardware now, but I'm having trouble. From what I saw, I need 16 mm bolts with a 10.9 rating. In standard, thats close to 5/8 grade 8.

So far I've only been able to locate 5/8 grade 5. Do you guys think these would be strong enough? Any input would be great, especially if you've gone through this process. Thanks!

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont go weak on those bolts they are important and need to be strong, I would check the dealership for stock replacements

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree either stock replacement or grade 8 only. If one happens to break at highway speeds, that could disaterous.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know the part #'s for the OEM bolts? I can't find them listed on Tasca.

Also, I looked up the specs for grade 5 vs 8. Grade 5 is about 70-80% as strong as grade 8. From what I've read, the frame is more likely to break than a bolt of either rating. Just some food for thought.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
705000-S436, 803990-S101 I think it is one of those two part #'s

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to fastenal, or order online. they can get you just about any screw, nut bolt, or any other fastening device imaginable

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my first attempt to take the old arms off was unsuccessful.

I soaked the bolts/nuts with PB Blaster and went at it with an air impact wrench w/400 ft lbs of torque...it wouldn't budge!

Any advice?

I'm looking at buying a more powerful impact wrench (1000 ft lbs), using a torch, or taking it a mechanic (got an estimate for about $200 to replace all four rear control arms).

will_higgins

Reaction score
I just got done replacing my lowers last night. As far as getting those nuts off, I soaked mine in PB for about 24 hrs. It still took a lot of torque to get it off but it came off. My problem was the whole bolt was spinning when i was trying to get the nut off. So i got a 21mm wrench and put it on the other end and let it apply pressure on the frame or something sronge. I dont know if you are having that problem or not.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ended up taking it to a mechanic.

2.5 hrs of labor and replaced all 4 rear arms (upper & lower) for $200. He was able to use all of the factory bolts/nuts, which eases my mind.

Lowers were completely rotted through in some parts; uppers weren't nearly as bad, but were quickly flaking/scaling away.

These aftermarket parts I got off ebay were so much beefier than the oem parts and seem to be much better quality (and so much cheaper). I recommend them.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, guys.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mcmaster carr has the proper bolts (10.9) for $3.50 each and 10 pack of nuts (grade 10) for $10.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccky