Rear differential leak - seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stan

Reaction score
Halo folks.
My Navi just made me a brand new supprise... Rear diff is leaking. The oil is visible at the front part of the diff - just there where shaft is connected to the differential... I figured I need one of these National® 4278 - Lincoln Navigator 1999 Differential Pinion Seal, Rear Outer

But have no any idea how to approach to replace that... I imagine shaft needs to be disconnected... But then what ? Any advice please ?:)
Thank you

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
drop the drive shaft on that end and remove the yoke leaking into the diff. then get a seal puller or something like this
Lisle Seal Puller 56750
and remove the old seal, prep the new seal by applying oil on the rubber mating surfaces, if additional sealing is desired you can add a thin layer of RTV to the metal contact sides of the seal. lightly tap in new seal making sure it is even, this can be done without a seal installer but it takes a lot of patience. use a brass drift and a rubber mallet and tap in seal until it is flush with the diff housing. re install yoke ( there is a torque on it but usually if you have an impact it will be tight enough ) some yokes have a separate seal that looks like this
EWONDustCapandSPLINEDSealFITS13301350and1410SPICER.jpg

re-install driveshaft and you are done, dont forget to top off the diff on gear oil. its really not too bad, I did A LOT of these on HMMWV's in the army.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Yeah I've just seen that... And I'm affraid to remove the shaft from the gearbox... Not sure if it is even possible in my car...