Regular or premium

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the normal experience of 99% of car owners. The higher octane fuels come into play (and make a difference) in high compression engines (sport cars...not sporty cars) and at high revs in any other engine. The purpose is to reduce pre-ignition. It does not add power, make your engine last longer, or make your exhaust smell good. If you're not zipping around in a Lotus or Ferrari you don't need it.

it has nothing to do with what type of car it is!!! it has everything to do with the engine! turbocharged vehicles arent your average engine. these 3.5TT motors have more horsepower than Real Sport Cars of just a few years ago and almost any lotus past and present!! Im not saying you cant run 87, but i am saying it definitely makes a mechanical difference in how this engine operates.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 87 in mine. It's not worth the extra $20 bucks just for the wife to bring the kids back and forth to school. I tired 93 for a couple of tanks in a row just to see and noticed no difference. Gets around 18.5 - 20mpg on either one and feels like it has the same power.
its about .28 more for 91 and .53 for 93 the 3rd gen has a 28 gallon tank so $7.84 for mid and $14.84 for premo per tank

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its about .28 more for 91 and .53 for 93 the 3rd gen has a 28 gallon tank so $7.84 for mid and $14.84 for premo per tank

Roughly a .70 to .80 cent difference from 87 to 93 around here. Most stations don't have 91, and the ones that do are usually non ethanol and run a smooth dollar more than the 87. I filled her up 2 days ago for $71, that same tank of 93 would of put it right at $90. Like I said, not worth it for her to take the kids to school and go to target. The manual tells me to put 87 in it, so 87 she gets.

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Higher octane fuel makes a difference to a certain point on a stock expedition. The ECM calculates how much timing, boost and fuel it can use by looking at difference sensors on the engine. For example 02 sensors, ECT, knock sensors, MAF and so on. With the higher octane fuel ECM will detect the difference in fuel by interpreting the info giving by the sensors and if all the stars align it can advance timing, adjust boost and adjust fuel to a certain point. All because the higher octane fuel allows the ECM to make those changes. Lower octane fuel will not allow the ECM to do that because it will start knocking and the ECM Will back off on changes.
You want to get more out of higher octane fuel get a tune then you can take good advantage of it.

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By knocking I mean pre-ignition, detonation, uncontrolled burn, etc. What ever you want to call it.

Michael Shepherd

Reaction score
That's good info. So guessing the takeaway from that is that while using high octane fuel for 1 out of every 4 fill-ups might clean injectors, it is probably not going to make any difference in performance or fuel economy.

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that To some the slight changes can be beneficial depending on their driving and vehicle needs.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not buy one, because you beat one and it did not fail. The are plenty of people who had timing chain problems. That kind of, out of warranty stuff, is a turn off. I would hope a new engine would be problem free, in its first two years. Ford only sold, so many, because of EB rebate on the F150. I had read many on this forum, unhappy about the EB, being only engine choice in the EXpy.

Interesting but NONE of them have posted here....wonder why?

jeff

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting but NONE of them have posted here....wonder why?

jeff
He talks like Obama. "Plenty of people" (no facts or numbers), EBs were only sold because of the rebate (I assume he's contacted those purchasers and verified their reason for purchase), "many on this forum" (must be in a secret forum that I'm not seeing).

All platitudes given from the assumed position of "I'm right....just ask me".

Do you know what happens when a car manufacturer makes a piece of crap that nobody likes? I'll give you a hint: "Edsel"