Remote Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irishinontario

Reaction score
Hi folks,

i am thinking of buying a remote starter.

this winter i have been using a third fob - running out, starting the truck, leaving the keys in and locking with the spare remote.

are they an easy fit or is it not worth the effort?

thanks.....

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would suggest going to one of the manufacturer's web sites and download the installation instructions. You'll get a good idea of whether or not you're going to be comfortable installing it yourself or pay a shop to do it.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worth getting one but I paid for install

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This past winter I had a DEI Python alarm/remote start system installed. It's one of the 1 mile / 2 way systems. I love it! Surprisingly, one of the coolest features is the ability for the system to tell you the temperature so you can see if you need to remote start it in advance or not.

No way I would attempt to install one of these things on my own. To do it right, it will take quite a while. You are tying in to some critical wires to make it work. In fact - the DEI systems (Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, etc) are not designed for self install. You'll need to go with another make.

You can do it and many have. Know that with our vehicles, you'll need the box that mimics your key security for PATS to allow starting.

Expedition907

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Viper remote starter, worked up to 1,500 feet. simple viper remote starter, lock/unlock/start/ and a programmable button that I have no use for, can be programmed for anything as long as you have them do it with install. believe mine is the 4301. I had bestbuy do it at their store

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 5704 model

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know - it's rare that I start my truck with they key in the ignition. Even when it's not cold I find I start it while walking up to it. That way, everything is ready by the time I get in and can take off immediately. Nice!!!