Remove Rear AC Heater Blower Housing Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerD

Reaction score
I have a 2007 expedition and I want to completely remove the A/C heater blower housing box in the rear. All I need is A/C and heat from front vents.

Any problems doing this? Do I need to cap any lines?

exp-acheat.png

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You won't be able to keep it cool in your area. What is the problem you are having??

OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
I'm turning it into a camper. I'll be driving around the country with it and won't be in FL when hot. Also, I will have a 5k BTU AC in the back. I just want to remove it for the added space.

exp-i1.png

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
I'm turning it into a camper. I'll be driving around the country with it and won't be in FL when hot. Also, I will have a 5k BTU AC in the back. I just want to remove it for the added space.

View attachment 41016
Love it. I turned mine into a camper but didnt go THAT far (removing rear panels). Can't keep my 2014EL cool in Nebraska in August without rear cooling but it is still more comfortable than the Lewis & Clark Expedition had it. Ha! EXPED Megamat makes a great bed.

Confused about your question about capping it off ... heat and cooling "fluids" run back there.
I kinda wondered how that worked and maybe instead of capping you have to make it circular if you know what I mean. Be sure to follow up with progress on your legendary project please.

Make sure you plug the bolt holes where seats removed. I used some of them to bolt the structure I put back there down (even that is insufficient in a major crash)

IMG_1934.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
Is there a way to disconnect these lines?

I would certainly think so.

I can cap off the two freon lines (lines on right side) at the front of the vehicle. So that's not an issue. I just need to disconnect them all at the back, as shown in pic.

lines-o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
That'll work.

If I knew how to disconnect the lines.

Can't find any info online on how to disconnect the lines in the back.

I stopped at an Auto AC place and they said they said it's not something they mess with ... too delicate. What?

When to a Ford dealer and left my info because there was no one available. They called me back and said they could cut them off. Told them I could do that but I don't want to ruin the lines. They said they would get back to me. Never heard back from them and that was 2 days ago.

Texted 2 mechanics (about 8 hours ago) that I know and asked if they knew how to remove. Haven't heard back from either yet.

I just don't get it. It can't be that hard to disconnect the lines. I've just never done it before and have no idea what the process is.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i am sure the ac lines are going to be pressurized and/or you will loose a good bit of freon before you could cap them off. then you need to get the ac serviced
thats a lot of dog hair , i bet mine is close to that bad.

imo i would leave it alone. you can never have enough ac and if you get somewhere really cold, heck you already have piped in heat
space and weight savings imo is not worth the squeeze and cost to evacuate and recharge the system.
you said you have a 5k btu ac in the back??? back of what?

but hey its your rig. do what makes you happy.