Remove Rear AC Heater Blower Housing Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
space and weight savings imo is not worth the squeeze and cost to evacuate and recharge the system.
you said you have a 5k btu ac in the back??? back of what?

but hey its your rig. do what makes you happy.

Won't cost that much to evacuate/recharge the system. Even though it's not really that much extra space. It's well worth it to me. I'll more than likely cut the roof open and build a pop top, so I can stand in it.

I'm installing a 5K BTU A/C in the back of the expedition. I'm going to cut a hole in the liftgate and install it in it. I'll loose the use of it, but I will still have use of the window. Which works for me.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok...cut a hole to install an ac unit, but you are taking out the ac unit from factory. use the rear one when parked in a campground i guess,

i anticipate the end results of the job . you have a good bit of work to go. hope it goes good for you

OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
ok...cut a hole to install an ac unit, but you are taking out the ac unit from factory. use the rear one when parked in a campground i guess,

i anticipate the end results of the job . you have a good bit of work to go. hope it goes good for you

Since everyone seems to think I shouldn't remove it. I went to use it today to see what the big deal is. It turns out that it's not working. All that happens is the blend door actuator clicks and no air blows out. When I put my hand up to any of the vents, all I fell is a very tiny amount of warm air. Since my plan was to remove it, I have no real desire to fix it.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are doing away with it, cut at the hoses, insert a tight shoulder bolt in each hose & double/triple. Use the HD wide SS band hose clamps.
https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-clamp...d-tube-8/?SrchEntryWebPart_InpBox=hose+clamps

If you decide to reinstall later, you can add a barbed brass tube union and same clamps to reconnect. Just make sure the cut hoses on rear unit are sealed in same manner.
Those lines connecting to the unit have Ford quick connects on them and use a special tool for each size. The heater hoses are the same type as up front at heater core.
I like the idea for using all the room possible:head3::head3::head3:

OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
riphip, do you know how to disconnect the A/C lines?

I'm going to store everything I pull out at my kid's house. Just in case one day I want to put something back in.