Replace the oil dipstick tube 4.6L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkjames

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Expo 4.6 Liter engine and recently the dipstick broke in half. I was able to remove the snaped one out completly, requiring the removal of the 8mm mounting bold. Seems putting the new one is another story. After researching youtube and posts, I it seems you have to remove the engine mount as well as the manifold. Is this really necessary on the 4.6 liters or is it possible to fish it carefully though the manifold and block? Thank you.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's ok if you have to straighten the tube a little to get it through the manifold gap, then just bend it back to fit the retaining bolt alignment. Check the new tube's depth on the engine hole end to make sure it's not any longer than the original one you pulled out. The end of the tube below the O-ring length. If it's too long it may not seat properly.

OP
OP
R

rkjames

Reaction score
Thank you! I figured it could get a little bent in order to clear the manifold. I'm sure it won't be super easy, but at least it shouldn't take hours..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire