Replacement engine for Expy not Triton with plug packs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terryb99

Reaction score
The 5.4 32 valve is in my 2000 Navigator so it should be an easy fit.
The ECM and the rest of the electronics could be a challenge.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything can be swapped, but it's not plug and play. You'd have to swap the computer, wiring, modules, etc. On top of that theirs always fitment issues of some kind. Unless you and your shop are setup for a lot of modifications, I'd stay with the 2 valve 260 horse motor. You can do a few mods that will bump your hp. Shaving the heads and intake manifold will bump compression and power a bit. If your rebuilding your engine, first or second oversized pistons along with a one step bump in compression will get you more oomph .A hotter camshaft, and cleaning up the ports with a Dremel, all help pump HP. A K&N air Filter along with a mild or wild computer tune with a better breathing exaust should give you close to 300 or more ponies. But it all depends on how much work you want to do, along with further tweaking. Remember it costs money to go fast, how many $ worth do you want?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually expy is a nickname for Expedition. And Triton is the type of motor. As far as I know, without reinventing litterealy everything your stuck installing the same if not close year replacement motor. We do have a member here that's trying to shoehorn a v10 and 4r100 engine out of an Excursion. Stay tuned and see if it fits, and how much cutting/welding he does!

Hey that's me!

From everything I've read the electrical is by far the worst out of it. But I might need to shim the engine mounts I've heard to clear the engine accessories, or just get out the BFH...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Big hammers were how we massaged Harley parts on early models. Believe it or not, I read a repair procedure in the Factory Harley manual that showed how to straighten a bent connecting rod using a jig, and a hammer. Unbelievable! And they wondered why AMF, a sporting goods company had to bail them out!

OP
OP
M

ME Smith

Reaction score
I will forgo the swap, just exploring all options.

Thanks for all the info... from everyone.

Will continue exploring an even swap as all else is too much for an octogenarian that's just had his plumbing overhauled.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
80 years old and you want to tackle a motor r&r? Hell I'm 63, and I'd have to think twice about doing a job that large. Don't you have sons or grandsons that can pitch in?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
What is issue with coil on plug set up? Would you rather have spark plug wires, to deal with?

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
97 and 98 expeditions had 2 coils and 8 separate wires. Probably was better around water leaks, but individual coils give a hotter spark, and better performance. Not to mention probably helped to reduce emissions.

OP
OP
M

ME Smith

Reaction score
1955moose I have both & neither of them wish to touch this animal. My son is the owner, rather his wife, & he just this AM said he didn't want to touch it ever again.

Maybe I should abandon the idea also. In any case I was looking at a local shop to make either repairs or replacement. So far no one in 100 miles wish to tackle the job.