Replacing 2nd row Seat belt buckle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tigerxj

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here

We have a 2019 Max limited.

recently, the outboard passenger 2nd row seat belt buckle broke. There is a small metal piece that fits inside the slot that is depressed by the seat belt, which then depresses the locking mechanism. When the hole in the seat belt reaches the clasp, that clasp is able to spring into the hole to lock it.

That little metal piece broke off or came disconnected in some way, so short story long, we ordered a new buckle, figuring it would be easy to just unbolt the old one, and bolt the new one on.

We have a full bench, but it appears I can slide the middle seat all the way forward, and the rear seat all the way back to get access. However, the buckle itself is buried in plastic trim coverings on both sides.

Does any one have any experience, or even better, pictures, of getting access to the bolt? Does the bolt thread in from the middle aspect, or does it thread in from the lateral aspect? I'm just not sure which piece of trim to attack first. Thanks in advance for any help!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all, first post here

We have a 2019 Max limited.

recently, the outboard passenger 2nd row seat belt buckle broke. There is a small metal piece that fits inside the slot that is depressed by the seat belt, which then depresses the locking mechanism. When the hole in the seat belt reaches the clasp, that clasp is able to spring into the hole to lock it.

That little metal piece broke off or came disconnected in some way, so short story long, we ordered a new buckle, figuring it would be easy to just unbolt the old one, and bolt the new one on.

We have a full bench, but it appears I can slide the middle seat all the way forward, and the rear seat all the way back to get access. However, the buckle itself is buried in plastic trim coverings on both sides.

Does any one have any experience, or even better, pictures, of getting access to the bolt? Does the bolt thread in from the middle aspect, or does it thread in from the lateral aspect? I'm just not sure which piece of trim to attack first. Thanks in advance for any help!

Ford provided a 5-year / 60,000 mile warranty for the vehicle’s restraint system: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_04_2018.pdf

Are you within this mileage period? If so, have the dealer repair the buckle under the warranty.

OP
OP
T

Tigerxj

Reaction score
we are not, my wife puts a ton of miles as her job has her driving around a 30 mile radius several times a day, plus hauling kids!
not sure but close to 100k, believe it or not!

RacerBX1

Reaction score
My Expedition is at the dealer for warranty work, so I can’t confirm by looking, but what follows is the typical setup for seatbelts. The plastic cover is just that a cover for looks. Usually if you can get something small under the sides at the bottom (like finger nails) and pull outwards that cover will pop off. Once the main bolt is exposed it is typically a Torx 50 bolt. I suggest a 1/2” ratchet (long or a extension bar) because these things are HARD to turn out, and don’t get easy as you start to back it out. I have also seen a Torx 45 used. Hope this helps and sorry for no detailed info.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of my 2nd row outer ones broke as well, but just the plastic shroud. I thought about ordering a new one but then I stopped, knowing that these seat belts use explosive charges on them, I didn't want to mess with it and I was just going to wait until my next visit to the dealer. I actually tried to order the receiver online and the dealer called me and said they can't ship them due to the explosive charge.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire