Replacing a 2001

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tilliepeople

Reaction score
I need to replace my 2001 Eddie Bauer.Blown out spark plug was the last straw.
I believe I have enough resources to pick up a late 2nd or early 3 generation (2005-2008 ).
It would help to know of any advantage /disadvantage to either generation .
Any info on drive train,suspension ,electrical problems would help in my decision .
Thank You
Bill

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2005,2006 are the most troublesome years, so unless it's a killer price or I've got to have, I'd steer clear of those. All the second generations have their quirks. 2008 and up is where they got rid of the two piece spark plugs. This is not a problem on pre 2008's as long as they installed one piece motorcraft or equivalent. The thing you've got to watch for is that maintenance was done on time, particularly oil changes, and transmission services. The cam phasers going wonky on these models is the biggest issue that we seem to see, day after day here. I'd do a top to bottom inspection, look for rust, or worn front end parts, along with oil leaks. I also would bring along a obd2 scanner, cheap one will do, and plug into data port. One last thing look at title, make sure it doesn't say salvage on top. I'm sure our other members have items I've missed, good luck, take your time, pick the best of the bunch, lowest miles is what your aiming for. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tilliepeople

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the cam phasers . Will listen close for that.
I know about the plugs being a pain and concluded I would change them right away to eliminate future problems .My 2001 held up pretty good until 180K when all heck broke loose .
Am looking for under 125K and figuring for 4 or 5 years .
I did check out a real nice looking 99 with under 100K but a test drive told me the trans was the weak link and walked (ran) away .

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good and reliable model years in that range, most of the kinks worked out. Any one that is 5-6 years old like you mentioned is in a good range. 2003-2006 2nd gens are good trucks but you've got to be able to deal with the quirks, many do just fine with them. The ideal owner for a 2nd gen can turn their own wrench. I agree with moose on the scanner. Can't beat these expys for the prices either compared to similar full size vehicles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tilliepeople

Reaction score
Well I wound up picking up a 2004 expedition.150K
Excellent price .Upgraded headlights and tail lights nice set of 20 inch rims.
4.6 that sounds brand new with a trans that shifts flawlessly . upgraded suspension
Granddaughter now wants me to sell my Winnebago and buy a trailer to pull behind.
Not real sure I want to pull a 30ish foot trailer with that 4.6 though.