Replacing front control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DKH2Hrnt

Reaction score
I am in the middle of trying to replace my upper control arm, since my ball joint is shot. I can't remove the bolts holding the control arm in place because it is hitting on the front coil spring. So, I have to take out the strut/spring assembly. I figured I would take the top bolts off the strut, unbolt the tie rod, then slowly lower every thing with a jack until I could move the strut out of the way. The problem is that the wheel assembly isn't coming down enough to move the strut. Is there something that is stopping everything from coming down further? Sway bar?

ExpeditionUser

Reaction score
You're most likely going to have to remove the strut assembly altogether. AlldataDIY does specify strut removal. Make sure you can torque that strut lower nut back to 295 lb/ft :-/, that's a lot.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shock Absorber and Spring Assembly
Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
Remove and discard the nuts.

NOTE: Use the hex holding feature to prevent the stud from turning while removing the nut.

Remove the nut and detach the tie-rod from the wheel knuckle.
Discard the nut.

Remove the nut, bolt and the shock absorber and spring assembly.
Discard the nut.

NOTE: For reference during assembly, index the upper mount, spring and shock absorber.

Using a suitable spring compressor, compress the spring until the tension is released from the shock absorber.

While holding the shock rod, remove the nut and washer.
Remove the shock absorber.
Discard the nut.

Remove the upper mount, dust shield and insulator.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

MissileMech

Reaction score
Remove the lower nut on the sway bar link. Remove the lower strut bolt and upper strut nuts. Move the lower part of the strut off of the controll arm and down between the control arm and tie rod. Get a friend to push the assembly down while you work the strut out.

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
What tools did you use to remove the lower sway bar link nut? An 18 mm socket fits the nut but then you cant get a wrench on the post to stop it spinning. I was thinking a crow foot wrench might work but I don't have one and can't find a store that sells them.

igozumn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I unbolted the sway bar at the frame. The end links can be tight/problematic at the control arm or bar end. Granted, mine is 2wd, so there is less stuff to mess with, but once the knuckle is unbolted from the upper control arm, a pry bar on the lower arm will allow, or did allow, the strut assembly to swing out from under the upper strut mount. Not having to source a very large socket and re-torque to stratosphere spec on the lower strut mount was nice.

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Well I managed to get the stabilizer link removed. Because I was changing out the control arms life was a little easier as I had the arm on my bench. I ended up using a chisel to start the nut and then I managed to get enough of an opened ended wrench on the but whilst I turned the post with an 8mm socket. No way this method would have worked with the arms on the car. Nothing in the ford shop manual about a special tool. I bought a double offset ring wrench but even that was to shallow to be of any use.
I was thinking that a socket with a hex pattern in the outside (like a spark plug socket) would work if you drilled out the center to allow access to the hex post. Not sure if such a thing exists or what it might be called.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tools did you use to remove the lower sway bar link nut? An 18 mm socket fits the nut but then you cant get a wrench on the post to stop it spinning. I was thinking a crow foot wrench might work but I don't have one and can't find a store that sells them.

No idea why I'm responding to this old thread and none of you guys are prolly on here anymore but I'm Having this exactly same issue.... Nothing fits in there to hold the nut while I turn the bolt so it makes it impossible to remove

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
433bd547d6617ad097d2c4b58b425061.jpg

Thinking I'll need to use something like this so I can try to hold the bolt end while turning the nut....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk