Replacing Upper Right Control Arm...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... Anyone have any tIps for making this easier? 99 XLT... It didn't look to difficult watching a YouTube video, shouldn't be bad but looking for words of wisdom from the group.. Also should I replace upper and lower since I'm in there anyway or should both sides be done or doesn't that matter. I'm also gonna have to replace the front right strut/shock too. Those I know need done in pairs, can anyone suggest a decent brand that won't break the bank? I see parts geek has tons of Monroe but if anyone can suggest better...

P.s... y'all need a thumbs up emoticon ;)

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both sides should be done since you will need to have the truck aligned. Lower control arm does not have to be replaced as a unit like the upper. You can just drive out the ball joint using a ball joint press that is rented from O'reilly or Autozone for free.

Upper ball joints are fairly easy. Take off the two bolts holding it to the frame, and the one nut on the upper ball joint. Then just pound it loose with a pickle (ball joint) fork. Air tools make tightening the new parts and using the press much easier, but are not necessary.

The way I recommend doing it, is doing upper control arms and tie rod ends (inner and outer) all at once. That way you just need to do one alignment for all of the new parts. You can do the lower ball joints at any time without having to do an alignment.

Last edited: