Replacing Weatherstrips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADEXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am about to replace the weatherstrip/seal (2004 EXP) around the moon roof and the weatherstrip around the back glass. Any tips? Is this as simple as pulling the old one and replacing it with the new one?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
should be that simple. just make sure that you clean the area really well before installing the new one cuz the glue wont hold as well if it is dirty. other than that, should be cake.

Paul S

Reaction score
Weatherstripping

On the back window it is essential that you clean the area very well. I used alcohol and then waxed the area to be sure then used alcohol again. The top of the window will be pretty dirty and that is where you will get an inside leak.

OP
OP
MADEXP

MADEXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, let me provide some feedback since I just finished this project:

1. Moonroof weather strip. No issues taking the moon roof glass out or in. No issues taking the old weatherstrip out. Big issues placing the new one in. The weatherstrip is designed to be seated in two places along the glass and the frame. Hard to describe. It took me almost two hrs to get it done. My recommendation? Take this one to the dealer. Not worth the hassle. For those who are interested, the moon roof weather strip (or seal) part # is: SL1Z-7851884-AA @ $81.03.

2. Back glass weatherstrip was a piece of cake. No issues. The part number is: 2L1Z-7842084-CA @ $33.70.

ssnerdle

Reaction score
Well, let me provide some feedback since I just finished this project:

1. Moonroof weather strip. No issues taking the moon roof glass out or in. No issues taking the old weatherstrip out. Big issues placing the new one in. The weatherstrip is designed to be seated in two places along the glass and the frame. Hard to describe. It took me almost two hrs to get it done. My recommendation? Take this one to the dealer. Not worth the hassle. For those who are interested, the moon roof weather strip (or seal) part # is: SL1Z-7851884-AA @ $81.03.

2. Back glass weatherstrip was a piece of cake. No issues. The part number is: 2L1Z-7842084-CA @ $33.70.

what glue is used to install new WS on rear Liftgate window?

sngltrck1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3M Super Weatherstrip & Gasket Adhesive works well.

As mentioned ... clean REALLY well first.