RESOLVED! - 2010 Expy - Engine missing on hills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have the V8, so you have 8 coils..

First I would like to say that the only engine that was in a 2010 expy has 8 cylinders Hence a V8 Therefore you get 10 demerits. as there wasn't anything to assume about.

As suggested replace all of the plugs and the boots. The boots sit inside of the sparkplug well and are subjected to some high temps and should be replaced any time a new plug is replaced also coat the inside of the boot with some dielectric grease.

OP
OP
W

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
Boots/Motorcraft Plugs will be changed real quick like. Do you think that job is as easy as it was for my honda accords/toyota corolla's in the past was or should I find a mechanic that may need to further troubleshoot if this doesn't resolve anyway?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The worst part of changing the plugs will be the ones in the back of the engine Just take your time and have some sockets extensions and swivels available Also look on You=tube for some pointers on the procedure

And although I haven't done a Honda or Toyota the EXPY is a PITA to do again take your time on the back plugs The first time is always the worst

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn't mention a six pack of your favorite suds, on ice, your gonna need em for those rears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
Even though their is no warranty expressed or implied, check with your local consumer affairs. Their may be laws that are different in your state. In almost all states vehicles are sold buyer beware as is. Let's hope it's just tune up related. Now you know that little voice in your head that sounds like your dads, saying son, always get a used car checked out before you buy it! We all seem to buy our way, without a checkout anyway.

Yes Dad, I learned my lesson. I totally took this thing for quite a test drive and am mad for not noticing this issue. That aside, I am still happy with the purchase as I searched a lot for a well priced EL Limited 4x4 without a ton of miles without having to fly to texas to pick it up and drive back!

OP
OP
W

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
You didn't mention a six pack of your favorite suds, on ice, your gonna need em for those rears!

Luckily my father in law is a great mechanic and will work for good beer, but it might take a 12 pack between us seeing those back plugs!

DarkhorseEB

Reaction score
Not sure this will help you but on my 99 I had what seemed like a bad misfire under moderate load but if i floored it, it would run smoother. I repkaced plugs with motorcraft and bought a set of accel super coils due to their potentially better manufacturing and lifetime warranty. It ran better but still had the same problem. Turned out to be the rear end clutches slipping which really threw me off since on my Tbird, I could definitely tell when the rear end was messing up but the Expy bucked and made sounds like backfiring thru the exhaust and ect. As soon as I poured a tube of friction modifier in the rear end, the jerking stopped and has been smooth ever since. I have changed all the gearboxes since.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your not throwing codes, tune it first. Always start with the cheapest or free things . Like spraying maf sensor real well, new plugs. Fuel and air filter never hurts. Don't change coils, change the boots. All those things should be around $100.00. Is the dealer going to help at all? Daddy Moose!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus