Road noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammer64

Reaction score
I have a 2004 expo with 98k. There is a noise that sounds likes wheel bearings, a harmonic humming that gets louder with speed. I put it in the air and there is no play in the wheel when in the air. I spun the wheel and the cv joints spin with the wheel, its in 2 wheel drive right now. Should the cv joints spin while in 2 wheel? All the boots look good also.
Any help would be much appreciated.

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your cv shafts will spin in 2wd. The disconnect is internal of the diff.

Now my question to you is when you spin the wheel while it was in the air did it feel super easy or as though it was binding some. I've had hub assemblies where there wasn't any side to side or up and down movement. The bearing actually tightened up in those cases.

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like your hub is going bad. If you do replace it I suggest biting the bullet and replace both. My personal suggestion is timken hubs. Rockauto.com has them for a great price too. I have used them in every vehicle I've ever had to replace them in and have had zero problems with them.

Example: my 99 explorer awd that was lifted 6" on 33" tires, I had the timkens in them for 3 years with plenty of abuse and they never failed me. Now by abuse I mean jumping the truck, bogging through mud roughly 5 feet deep, driving into the ocean(wasn't paying attention to tide), multiple beach trips and so on.

OP
OP
H

hammer64

Reaction score
I still cant believe them axles spin when in 2 wheel. I would have thought they disengaged.

roush9799

Reaction score
I still cant believe them axles spin when in 2 wheel. I would have thought they disengaged.

I think Ford ditched the vacuum lock hubs a few years back. Now they only disconnect at the t case only. So as long as the front wheels turn, all the shafts in the front will too.

OP
OP
H

hammer64

Reaction score
Well this site is great and everyone is eager to help and has posted good articles. You must start the truck and with it running jack it up and spin the wheels. After that the wheels spin freely from the shafts and mine spun fine. I no longer think the hubs are bad. I just bought this vehicle and maybe it is just louder than I thought it should be or these tires are just noisy.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this site is great and everyone is eager to help and has posted good articles. You must start the truck and with it running jack it up and spin the wheels. After that the wheels spin freely from the shafts and mine spun fine. I no longer think the hubs are bad. I just bought this vehicle and maybe it is just louder than I thought it should be or these tires are just noisy.

I know this threads a little old but I have the same thing that's been going on with my 2006 and I've been leaning towards thinking it was the CVs because I'm getting a snap while turning in 4HI but in 2HI on the freeway I have a distinct hum that gets especially loud around 40-60 and Im not really thinking it's the hubs but something with the CVs... I'll have to get mine up on a lift here soon and check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk