Rough Idle after overhaul of timing chains, phasers, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
spray (carefully) some carb cleaner on suspect area. If the running condition changes then you have a leak in that area

Do you have a smoke machine? How did you blow smoke in it (just curious)

OP
OP
MenoFalls Expy
Reaction score
I tried the carb spray on all the hoses first and for the back one I sprayed the firewall to get as much back there as possible.

I used a Dutch Master and my lungs, not real scientific but I think it should have been enough.

OP
OP
MenoFalls Expy
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thanks for your help. In frustration I took the Expy to the Ford dealer where they found I had a cracked spark plug of all things! Yes it cost me $200+ but no telling how long or what I would have torn apart before finding that.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You could've avoided all that but doesn't matter now truck is running so props to you brotha

TxSed8r

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue after doing my cam phasers and drove myself crazy trying to figure it out. After 2 weeks and rechecking everything, my passenger side timing chain was off by one tooth. These motors are hard to time just right. Once I corrected the timing, it was unbelievable how smooth it ran.

OP
OP
MenoFalls Expy
Reaction score
Very Nerve Racking experience, I was really stressed and nervous the day I did the actual chain and sprocket replacement for fear of what happened to you.

I agree, and I'm quite sure its my imagination, but Man, It really seems to accelerate faster and have more power after this repair! I am back in love after saying some really bad things about it.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I agree, and I'm quite sure its my imagination, but Man, It really seems to accelerate faster and have more power after this repair! I am back in love after saying some really bad things about it.

I said so much bad crap about my expy before doing my timing set and after... And I still stand by all that was said, ford made a POS and called it an expedition!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1