rumble in the jungle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panhandler

Reaction score
Good Folks - I have a 99 EB 5.4L 4x4, 133k miles and a problem. Between 35-50mph, with overdrive on, I get massive misfire/rumble/jerking/stuttering. It's particularly bad under load (driving uphill, etc). When I turn overdrive off it improves considerably but still acts up some. Is this more likely coil packs/plugs or do I have a transmission issue (or none or both)? Any help is greatly appreciated!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It can be several things but what your describing to me sounds like a misfire under load. Higher loads increase the demand on the ignition system.

Did anything precede or lead up to this occurring or did it happen overnight?

OP
OP
P

panhandler

Reaction score
It's my wife's car so I don't drive it regularly - it seems to be progressively worse. Also, the check engine is throwing a code P0455 for large EVAP leak but not sure this is related as the misfiring has gone on long before the code.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I think the first thing I would do is install new sparkplugs making sure they are properly gapped if they have not been changed recently. Hopefully if you are having misfire it will be obvious on one or more of the plugs. This will also let you know if any moisture has gotten into the plug wells.

While your there check carefully for vacuum leaks.

This should eliminate or confirm them as the source.

Ward

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're doing plugs, change the coil packs as well. I had a similar problem with mine, and new coil packs solved it.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
speaking of new coil packs did you get OEM or performance ones? I am curious to see if the packs help at all I know I will put my life on E3 spark plugs over any one else but now its the coils i'm debating over

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use whatever the premium coil pack brand is at O'Reilly since they are lifetime guaranteed. Probably will just pull them out and put them in my next truck too haha.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a issue I had a while back.... I went with globalautomotive on ebay and got 8 new COPs and autolite double platnium plugs and hasn't had an issue since

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69