Running Boards are terrible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

verna2197

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2017 Expedition and I so totally hate the factory running boards. They are almost level with the door. Is there anything that I can do to lower these. They are just to high for me.

verna2197

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2017 Expedition and I so totally hate the factory running boards. They are almost level with the door. Is there anything that I can do to lower these. They are just to high for me.

verna2197
Welcome to the Forum. Are you talking about the fixed running boards or the power running boards?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking about the fixed running boards or the power running boards?

He's referring to the fixed ones. They are basically right under the doors.

OP, your best bet would probably be to replace them with aftermarket running boards if it's really important to you. You could probably rig something up with spacers on the stock ones, but I personally wouldn't.

OP
OP
verna2197

verna2197

Reaction score
I am sorry I am talking about the fixed running boards and I am a she not a he. Yes it is important as I am handicap and its really hard to get in and out. I wasn't even told that they had power ones or I would have purchase one with power running boards.

Thank you

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry I am talking about the fixed running boards and I am a she not a he. Yes it is important as I am handicap and its really hard to get in and out. I wasn't even told that they had power ones or I would have purchase one with power running boards.

Thank you
Verna, I have the power running boards on my 2017 limited. The step up height is 11" if I remember correctly and then I think it's 10" to the floor boards from there. if I remember correctly. It is possible that they could retrofit the power running boards but I suspect it would be extremely expensive to do it now.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm REALLY surprised they did not suggest the powered boards when you bought or leased the truck. Since they come as part of an upgrade package on the standard version, base model...it's surprising to hear that the dealer did not coerce or at least make the suggestion to you for buying them once they saw that you had any difficulty at all in getting into or out of the truck!

jeff

OP
OP
verna2197

verna2197

Reaction score
I have used this dealership for years and they know I am handicap I too am surprised they didn't tell me about this cause I would have upgraded.
I have the XLT model

Expedition Andy your from my home state!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used this dealership for years and they know I am handicap I too am surprised they didn't tell me about this cause I would have upgraded.
I have the XLT model

Expedition Andy your from my home state!
Verna,

We've lived here over 10 years but I'm originally we are from Mechanicsburg, PA and came here by way of Norman, OK. In the last 20 years we've lived in three different states, but we like it here and I really don't see moving again.

That is a shame that your dealer didn't show you a Limited because I believe the power folding running boards are standard. I'm not sure if you leased or purchased but I'm not sure if they can help you out on a trade up to limited.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Power running boards are part of the Limited 301a package: Sunroof, Navigation, & Power Running Boards for about ~$2,800.running boards.PNG