Rusted brake lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A week ago, one of the lines from the MC to the anti-lock unit, opened up through a rusty hole. The pedal went to the floor. Fortunately it happened while trying to find the leak, as opposed to having been on the freeway just a few minutes prior.

I pulled the inner fender well off to get access.

The primary and secondary lines were very rusty and failing. They both got replaced.

The lines were not a perfect fit, so some tweaking of the bends took place. Once they were ready to install, I hooked up the line at the MC, then pumped the pedal to push fluid down the new line. The fluid would drizzle out the end of the line as I installed it into the anti-lock unit. Very little air, if any, got into the line during either install. (one at a time)

The brakes feel good now with no leaks.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weird, this just happened to my Expedition too. The line going to the driver's side rear caliper burst while at a drive thru, brake pedal went to the floor. I managed to get home (about 6 miles) without wrecking. That's when the brake light finally came on. Had it towed to my trusted mechanic and he had a ***** of a time getting the lines apart to replace. Apppearently one of the fittings is right next to the gas tank. Also had a front caliper bleeder locked up that was a PITA.

aiizee

Reaction score
Does anyone have the names or part# for the lines ....MC to the ABS box.....looking like crazy and can't find it

aiizee

Reaction score
check rock auto do the make and model...be careful because there's an A and B. The dealer couldn't even figure it out so I bought both and replaced them. lol

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very strange, i can't find any rust at all on my expy

not underneath it, even all the exhaust piping is clean silver metal, from factory
then again im in CA

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Take a picture and show us. We from Missouri.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Same here with rusty lines, didn't have as good luck as u guys mine I noticed the pedal to the floor trying to slow down on the highway... this is on the highway shoulder repair, luckily napa auto parts was a 5 minute walk at the time

You can see the two unions in the pic

20180327_202454.jpg

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow that is very strange,
the only reason i can see to which could cause that, may be the placement of the line, against the body of the vehicle