rwd+sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay... so heading to the beach with a couple buddies and I would like to pull my truck up to the shore to fish.. but im worried my rwd wouldnt hold up well in the sand... is rwd okay for the sand or is 4wd the only way to go??

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4WD is the only way to go period! :head3:

I would think that as long as you take it slow you should be fine. But that being said, if no one else is driving a vehicle that is capable of pulling you out, you should be wary.

chad9f9

Reaction score
If the sand is packed you should be fine. Softer sand you will need more traction. You can air down your rear tires. I used to drive in sand all the time. Just make sure you don't spin the tires. Putting the transmission in 2nd gear to get moving from a stop helps so you don't apply too much power causing wheel spin.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

chad9f9

Reaction score
FordandPolaris has a good point make sure someone else is with you that can pull you out. Otherwise bring some tow rope. I always carry rope and a come along just in case. Only time I got stuck I ended up using my floor mats to get out. Just place them in front of the read wheels so the grab on to the mats.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tip from an avid offroader/snow wheeler, If you get stuck, or start spinning. just stop turn it off. go drop your tire pressure. any will help, but on stock size you can safely go to 10psi and drive at low speeds.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Packed sand or sand with some kind of solid base you may be fine. If you get into deep soft sand, the kind you quickly sink in, you need 4wd. In Avon NC I have seen many 4wd's get stuck, 2wd's are prohibited. Most were because of not airing down the tires. They recommend airing down to 20psi and of course that can be adjusted from there. Airing them down allows it to conform to the sand and hopefully ride on top rather than digging in.

When on the beach in avon I always used 4 low and dropped tire pressure to 20psi. You would swear you are getting stuck due to the extra effort to navigate through it. The vehicle acts very similar to it as you would trying to walk through it. Takes a lot more effort...

Outerbankssand_zpsff260db3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Plavin1991

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for ur advice.. I always carry a tow rope with me, just incase someone with a chevy is needing help... im still a lil concerned with going... but u guys definitely gave me some good ideas and I never really knew how much psi to put my tires at.. sad thing is my girlfriend told me to do 18-20psi lol gotta love a country girl. . She gotta teach my city shit..

Sent from my Galaxy Note 17 using Tapatalk 2

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to air down to 10-13 lbs. You really only need about 5 lbs to keep the bead solid. The lower the air, the easier it will be. Front and rear - not just one or the other. A 20 is too high for loose sand. I used to run at about 15.

I once came across a camaro in the deep sand in Corolla. The guy went to the beach along the packed sand along the fence. But for some reason, decided to try the deep sand on return. I couldn't do anything for him since he got down on the frame and no where to safely attach to.

Remember, people were running the sand before 4x4 came along. Their secret was low air pressure in the tires - generally around 8 lbs.

OP
OP
Plavin1991

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to air down to 10-13 lbs. You really only need about 5 lbs to keep the bead solid. The lower the air, the easier it will be. Front and rear - not just one or the other. A 20 is too high for loose sand. I used to run at about 15.

I once came across a camaro in the deep sand in Corolla. The guy went to the beach along the packed sand along the fence. But for some reason, decided to try the deep sand on return. I couldn't do anything for him since he got down on the frame and no where to safely attach to.

Remember, people were running the sand before 4x4 came along. Their secret was low air pressure in the tires - generally around 8 lbs.

Thanks for the advice man... lol definitely makes since now that u point that out...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you air down down do not forget to bring a pump. I only airdown to 20 psi and never had any issues (4wd). That is with stock goodyear wrangler rts's. They balloon fairly well at that pressure. Watch your sidewalls. It was a nice compromise as well as I could drive to my beach house less than 5 minutes away with out to much concern. I could then air back up at my beach house when I planned on some hwy driving with a 120v pump. The more you air down obviously the longer it will take to pump back up.

IMO... if you encounter sand where it requires you to air down below 20psi you will have issue with 2wd because the front tires have a lot of resistance trying to push through the loose sand let alone your rear. Take a walk on the beach before you drive on it. If its easy to walk you will likely be fine. If it takes a lot of effort because your feet sink as you attempt to walk you may have issues. I hope you have traction lock rear.

Last edited: