Salvage Yard find

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAexpy

Reaction score
I finally got around to looking to replace my rear bumper on my '97 XLT, that had a dent from some knucklehead running into me. The local year had about ten (10) Gen 1 Expeditions. I found a 2000 XLT, with a clean (undamaged) rear bumper, along with a grill with a billet insert - so I took them both.

I had just touched up all my trim (borrowed idea from Explorer Tom), and had paint my fading honeycomb grill insert, black. It came out pretty good, but now thinking of installing this billet grill.

I want to add some off road lights behind the grill insert - does anyone have a billet grill with light behind it, and would you do it again?

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your mounting lights behind the grille, your cutting off airflow to a/c and radiator. Unless you live somewhere that’s cold, I’m not sure I’d do that.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem I found with mounting them behind the grill is that the “beam” you mount them to isn’t very solid. It’s not horrible but I could see the lights bouncing around as I was driving.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally got around to looking to replace my rear bumper on my '97 XLT, that had a dent from some knucklehead running into me. The local year had about ten (10) Gen 1 Expeditions. I found a 2000 XLT, with a clean (undamaged) rear bumper, along with a grill with a billet insert - so I took them both.

I had just touched up all my trim (borrowed idea from Explorer Tom), and had paint my fading honeycomb grill insert, black. It came out pretty good, but now thinking of installing this billet grill.

Would love to see some pictures :)

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
The problem I found with mounting them behind the grill is that the “beam” you mount them to isn’t very solid. It’s not horrible but I could see the lights bouncing around as I was driving.

Craig and Tom, thanks for your responses. I live in the San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles - it can definitely get hot here (high 90s/low 100s), it isn't Phoenix/Vegas hot. Behind the grill is not the easiest accessible location, if I do put lights there, to deal with light issues, but was trying to stay away from light bars. Maybe I'll end mounting some light pods on the hood, or wait to see if I get an hi clearance winch bumper

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I added light bar to the bumper and the roof. The one on the bumper is solid and doesn’t shake at all, and it’s barely above the lower grille line.

46DBB374-6245-46F7-9E92-CB95C4DFCCE2.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oelkersbrian