SCT Tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCDavis

Reaction score
Question. Has anyone used a SCT Tune for your Expy? The Explorer guys swear by them, and I found someone here locally (a mustang performance shop) that will build a tune for an Expedition.

Anyone have any feedback?

CSVT#49

Reaction score
Good question. I have an Xcal3 along with the SCT Pro Racer Package for tuning my SVT. I should look into getting another license so I can tune my Expy.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometime very soon I'm having a couple tune files made up for mine. I have the Xcal2. It's an older 9400 series programmer. It's not as high tech as most of the newer programmers. It doesn't change tire size/speedometer. But it lets you play with ignition timing, idle speed, shift points, shift pressure, WOT fuel mixture, and some other things.

I used it on my explorer for years. SCT says it works on the expedition. I just gotta find a shop thats got a good reputation for expedition tuning, and buy some tune files from them.

OP
OP
M

MCDavis

Reaction score
Yeah this guy isn't an Expy tuner but he's OVERLY qualified as an SCT dealer. I've seen some of the Mustangs he puts out of his shop and they're stout!
Ideally I want to get about a 20hp bump and about the same torque number on 87 octane. Just enough to wake it up a little and still keeps things manageable without having to worry about the tranny, etc.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if just a computer mod will get you 20hp but if they're using a chassis dyno while tuning, that will help.

I've only gotten tune files that were made for other vehicles on a dyno. Then they sell it to people like me with similar stock setups.

However, a privately made tune file directly for your own vehicle on the dyno will definitely be better because they can run closer to the fine line of too lean/detonation etc. With a general performance tune they have to leave a bigger safety margin to account for everyone's vehicles being slightly different.

OP
OP
M

MCDavis

Reaction score
Yeah this guy has a nice in ground dyno setup. He said that we could set up an appointment time once I make my purchase and he'll build something specifically for the vehicle.
We'll see how that all works out. Still months out.

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been in contact with Justin @ VMP. Im prob going with him and the SCT with three custom tunes. Justin is highly recommended

OP
OP
M

MCDavis

Reaction score
fiveohpoepoe, VMP? Virginia Motorsports Park? Where in NC are you located?

The guy I've chatted with is Mike Rousch @ Mid Atlantic Performance here in Richmond. He's got a great Mustang reputation.

OP
OP
M

MCDavis

Reaction score
Ahh yeah Florida is a bit out of the question. That looks like a nice operation though! Thanks for the info regardless.