Shuddering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snapshot

Reaction score
Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this issue I've been chasing. I have a 2000 Expedition, 5.4L, 4x4, 160k miles. Whenever I'm driving up a hill and I press lightly on the gas, it intermittently will shudder. If I press heavily on the gas, it'll stop. It also stops whenever I turn overdrive off. I recently had the transmission serviced 4k miles ago. The whole reason I got it serviced was because of this issue and it did not resolve it. So, any ideas? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '98 was kind of doing that. Actually it felt more like a rough road with highly inflated tires.
Anyways, while doing some tune-up's to get it to pass emissions I changed the EGR valve. HOLY COW! The thing rides like a Cadillac now. No more rough ride.
Have you run a scan yet to see if it is failing anything?

OP
OP
S

Snapshot

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. Mercon V was put back into it after the transmission servicing according to my receipt from my mechanic. There are no codes that are popping up on it. I also keep an eye on the dash to see if the CEL flashes, but it doesn't whenever this happens.

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mercon V is the right fluid. Maybe someone with more in depth tranny knowledge will be able to help diagnose this further for you.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this issue initially when purchasing my 99 with 4r100. I did a full fluid exchange with dex merc 3 and it went away for about 2500 miles. When it came back, I put some dr trans stop anti shudder additive in and that worked for about another 2500 miles.

At that point, after reading more here, I did a full fluid exchange with merc 5. It was shuddering still so I added a couple bottles of luebguard. So far so good, but I don't expect it to last. It's been about 1k miles so far and no shudder but it seems to come back between 2-3k.

OP
OP
S

Snapshot

Reaction score
I think I will try some kind of additive and at least see where that takes me. I'm just hoping this isn't the torque converter shudder that I've read about, it sounds like it'd be a PIA to deal with!

Ackman70

Reaction score
From what I've read and have been told its a torque converter issue well know to these trucks. The only way to get rid of it is replacing the torque converter.

OP
OP
S

Snapshot

Reaction score
I thought I'd post an update on the issue. I put some non-slip additive and it hasn't acted up in the past 400 miles. I guess I've dodged a bullet for now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817