so we got big issues!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On our move cross country to Georgia, a check engine light lit up. Got here and got codes scanned and I have a P0302 and a P0171. After talking to a few of my mechanic buddies, who decided it for me as a lean cylinder bank #1 and misfire cylinder #2, thought I had clogged injectors and had me remove all 8 injectors and clean them. I did and I am having a problem where it feels like u am not running on all 8 cylinders. Last week I changed the coils... So what do y'all think it is? It's a 3valve 2005 with the 5.4

Last edited:

bigmekanik81

Reaction score
Did u reset the pcm after the repair u did...I simply would've started with looking for a vacuum leak then prolly #2 plug &coil to see if it still misses...now if it was missing for awhile the pcm will shut that injector down so it doesn't wash out that cylinder...thus needing to reset pcm.and if that fixed it I would recommend replacing all spark plugs...and usually when one coil goes there are a few that start to follow

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZombieSoldier

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not reset the PCM this last time after doing the injectors. I did erase the codes after they popped up. I had a spare coil that I replaced the bad o e with, I even had the could tested and they were good when the misfire was happening.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when i changed my coils i drove it around the block and had the misfire. thought it was the coil turned out it was just a loose wire going to the plug. could be one of the wires is bad/worn through

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My misfire was from the leaking injectors that they had the tsb about. Ford replaced them for free. Not sure if this is the problem.

rcreecer

Reaction score
Swap the suspect coil with another, clear the codes, and see if the problem follows the coil. That will at least isolate that issue. How does the spark plug look on 2?

OP
OP
ZombieSoldier

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so I had all the coils tested. All good. Checked the wiring going to them. All good. I had cleaned all the injectors out. Next step was spark plug on cylinder #2. So I soaked it since yesterday morning in liquid wrench. Hooked up my socket, ratchet, and extension. Turned it and plug came out. MINUS the tip. FML. So now I have to figure out how to get the tip out.