Some general aftermarket parts questions from a n00b

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Maxsplat

Reaction score
the brightest hids are 4300's because thats the whitest you can get without begining to change colors which makes the light shade get darker

Just read on another forum that the 3000k were the best because they put out the most lumens. Here's the link - look for entry #17 (I got it from panda so side thanks to him as this helped me A LOT!!) http://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...ro-comp-off-road-lights-hid-conversion-2.html

EDIT: jacks - I was wrong. I just watched this http://www.hidxenonheadlights.com/hid_color_temperature.html and found out I miss understood what was said. The 3000k is best for adverse weather conditions.

bhsoulja - Thanks for that! I may not sold projectors yet but it's good to know.

How do LED lights look with the stock lenses?

Last edited:

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah your right its like the 4300's are just for brighter light but the 3000's are probally better for the adverse conditions because there is less brightness to reflect on rain or snow or fog. i just read on the focus fanatics that 4300's were the brightest possible without the color changing

and im not exactly sure but HIDS in stock housings may be illegal, better to just get projectors with hids already in them

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most people here are running 6k...a couple are running 8k

OP
OP
M

Maxsplat

Reaction score
and im not exactly sure but HIDS in stock housings may be illegal, better to just get projectors with hids already in them

Where would you suggest looking for that info? Last thing I need is to be pulled over for headlights.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
best thing is google your state and look for info on it... usually if you stick to white HIDs like a 6,000K and then re-aiming your headlights you can get away with it... HIDs aren't aimed like stock bulbs so you will have to aim them down (so u don't blind people) in stock housing or order projectors...

as for CAI and exhaust you can do them at different times it wont matter but when they are both done it will give you the best performance... google "Gotts Mod" a lot of F150 people are doing it and its basically a CIA for a few bucks until you get a real kit

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah yeah walnuts a "REAL" kit. haha im happy with my gotts mod. hids are always confusing. but its good to have charts like that one. and if you do have projector head lights then go for the H3 bulbs. they are a little smaller. and conversion idk. i dont like spending a lot of time doing stuff ive never done. makes me want to take a hammer and smash it.

and as for the dual exhaust you have to do dual in single out. or go dual in single out and after it passes threw the a arm then make it dual again. ive seen that before.

and for being pulled over i wish that would happen here. ive seen cops blinded by hids that were all over the place and they dont do SHIT! like are you kidding me. but theyll get you for not covered off road lights. PLEASE!

OP
OP
M

Maxsplat

Reaction score
Thanks Walnuts/panda!

I'm leaning towards getting an actual CAI (no offense panda). I'm partial to K&N (due to atv parts) and am considering one of theirs. CAI and exhaust will have to come after I do my lights and alarm/remote start and then a 2nd set of tires. So as money becomes available I'll set it aside for the CAI and exhaust. Who knows. all plans have a way of failing so I may only do part of this stuff. all depends on greenbacks.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dont get me wrong i wanted a k&n cai. but then i saw price and i was like ill wait till sale or craiglist. and everytime i see craigslist it sells super fast or im "2nd" in line. what ever. thats why i just did the gotts and it works great. but cai about $300 and you can install it your self. idk how much exhaust costs but take it in unless you know how to weld the piping. then lights you can do your self.

OP
OP
M

Maxsplat

Reaction score
I don't mind the price of the K&N. Not that I'm rich or anything but I will pay the money if I think it's worth it. Just need to save for each part. As for the install of said parts I would have a good friend help me. He's been restoreing and fix cars for far longer than I have known him so I'm confident in his assistance/knowledge.

Unless my buddy could do it, the exhaust would have to go to a shop.

And like you said. The lights I can do myself.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for K&N.. its what I have been running and love it but if I were to build on a budget the "gotts mod" is the way to go but the looks of a K&N just look good along with painted engine cover pieces... I have done that since I go to shows with the expy...