Sounding like diesel.. Cam Phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSVT#49

Reaction score
So my truck has sounded like a diesel since I bought it used. Never thought a thing of it. But my mileage has sucked lately only getting about 12-13mpg. I would expect to get 15-16 since I drive a short run on the highway with it every day to get to work. After doing some research I found this cam phaser gear problem coming up a lot on the F-150 forums and such. It appears to apply to 05+ Expeditions as well. I found a how-to on it at this link

I can pick up the gears from Tousley Ford parts dept for $162 a piece, but ugh 7 hours of work and paying a shop to pull the R134a... sounds like a major PITA. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue and if this fixed the diesel sound and mileage issues.

2005eb

Reaction score
2005 Exped diesling noise sense 64000 mi

My 2005 Exped EB 4wd has sounded like a diesel from 64,000 mi to present at 100,000 mi. Had my local mechanic look at it (that has repaired many cam phasers) and he stated that as noisy as mine is, it is OK. When they are ready to change they make a lot of noises! Just came back from a 200 mi. trip with no change in sound. I ask him if I went on a trip from the mid-west to the East cost will it leave me standing on the road? He said go ahead. My next question is if the phasers fail on the road, will it do damage to the valve train and or other problems? I'm asking if any one has the answer. - Rich

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine had that work done on it before I bought it. I couldn't tell you anything about it.