Spark Plugs Causing Engine Jerk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FireTractor

Reaction score
I just purchased an '07 with 91k miles, and I have noticed the engine "jerking" when accelerating. After doing a lot of research, the problems sounds like it could be related to the spark plugs needing to be changed? I knew when I bought the car that this job would need to be done soon. So, my question is: has anybody else experienced this "jerking" problem that was fixed by changing the spark plugs?

On another note, the first time I noticed this problem, the emissions system light came one, but the following times I have had this engine jerk, the light did not come on.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Kyle

B

bedrck46

Did you get the codes read after the emissions system light came on? If not then take it and have the codes read and then post them on the forum.

Suggest you replace plugs and COP's and see if that solves the jerking problem. Also you may want to change all fluids including a trans flush.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it fine at idle and you only really notice at higher speeds? Spark plugs are the main cause of that.

OP
OP
F

FireTractor

Reaction score
Did you get the codes read after the emissions system light came on? If not then take it and have the codes read and then post them on the forum.

Suggest you replace plugs and COP's and see if that solves the jerking problem. Also you may want to change all fluids including a trans flush.

No, I did not get the code read, but the light has not come on since then. When I have them change the plugs I'll get the coed read.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have noticed that as teh coil packs age the engine jerking starts. Does the jerking change with humidity? I have fresh plugs and mine does that on certin days.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I've read of a few people that have had that problem in high humidity or rainy days. If I remember right, changing the cop fixes it but I think the problem lies in the connectors.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
In general, people tend to blame spark plugs for issues too often. Most problems usually come from cops or sensors. Plugs don't usually fail suddenly and start causing problems.