Speaker upgrade subwoofer for 2003 Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtrider

Reaction score
I upgraded my head unit to a pioneer avic D3 about 5 years ago now. I never got around to upgrading speakers yet. Time to make that happen. I was thinking I'd put the HD radio adapter on the D3, change the door speakers, and perhaps add a subwoofer. I installed my D3 myself and am pretty comfortable working on the car but never really messed with much in the audio dept before. Looks like many of you have so here are a few questions.

Before we get to that though, my goals are to not spend very much because I just want an upgrade not a killer system. I also don't want to sacrifice any storage in back or the fold down seat option because I use it all the time.

1. Recommendations on door speakers? Years ago when I got the system I picked up one pair of polk audio db571 speakers. Never got to installing them yet. They were used and only $20 so no loss really if I don't use them for this. Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB571 5-by-7-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Car Electronics

2. Subwoofer location? Not sure if under seat would even be an option with the front or fold down seats. I know the rear right passenger compartment has the blend door and hvac stuff. What's on the rear left side? I don't have air suspesion and had the basic head unit with cassette when I bought the truck (no sub).

3. What wiring is needed and best way to route it? I am guessing an install to that rear left passenger compartment. Is there any wiring in the harness that can be utilized from factory? I think I need power wire (gauge?) and then an rca cable preamp from head unit. Should I run a power wire from the fuse box (perhaps a new blank fuse location)? Then a remote wire of some sort is needed to turn on the sub right?

4. From what I understand I'd just need an amp to drive the sub. I believe the head unit is 4 channels or 2 channels and 1 sub. I can't remember the wiring but right now I am probably using all 4 channels for the speakers in the doors. Recommendations on good bang for the buck sub and amp?

5. If an install in the rear left compartment is possible what kind of grill can I get for it? I think there are stock ones right? Can I modify my left side panel and/or buy and insert for it?

6. Again assuming rear left compartment install, what kind of box for the sub and how to attach it?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same hu...u can buy a stealthbox made by jl audio...or u can have a shop make a box to fit inside of there...most ppl say 10" but depending on space requirements a 12 should fit...I use my rear all the time as u...willing to bet NOT in the same manner...lol...I completely removed the rear sub and put my amp in there...I can post pics when I get to work

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought JL doesn't make a stealth box for the 2nd gen's. :shrug:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk…did they stop?

Holy Roller Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member...

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only 2 reviews for the 3rd gen stealthbox on Crutchfield are 2nd gen owners that said with minimal modifications it'll fit. If the factory subwoofer enclosure is the same from 2nd to 3rd gens then I will hopefully have an answer as to whether or not the stealthbox will fit and will provide pictures in a couple different threads of the modifications required, if any.

OP
OP
D

dirtrider

Reaction score
How bad was the OEM subwoofer? Looks like it was a 9" in a plastic housing??? Is it a simple plug and play with the amp mounted on top that won't require me to modify any of my storage box or cup holders on that left side panel? I'm not looking for major bass response. Just wanted to even out the system a little bit if I'm already in there changing out speakers. I see a connector there so I'm wondering if I already have the wiring that is required for the oem one. Not looking to spend tons of time on this so it may be a good option for me and it is cheap with others selling take off parts.

Then the other issue is the hole in the side panel for the subwoofer? Do I need a panel from a version with the factory subwoofer or is there a nice way to finish that off with me cutting a hole in mine?

Also need to make sure it will work with my pioneer avic D3. Can you comment on that since you have one? What is this popping I am seeing referenced on some forums?

Here are some pictures of what I have now. There is quite a bit of space in there actually. Hate to see it go to waste any longer ;).

img0589x.jpg

img0595xa.jpg

img0600mtd.jpg

img0610tw.jpg

img0608v.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dirtrider

Reaction score
Can anyone reply if the open plug in the top picture is for the factory subwoofer? Would I be able to just put a factory subwoofer in there per questions above?

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll take a picture of the plug on the amp tomorrow. The two problems that I see just looking at your pictures are that it does not appear that you have the factory mounting studs and the tray that you have the tape measure next to needs to be replaced with the shallower version.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the picture of the plug on the amp. My harness for the amp was taped up and run along with the harness going to the C pillar. If you have it, you probably won't know for sure until you pull the radio or the rear panels. In my experience, if the vehicle wasn't optioned with something... Ford wasn't usually nice enough to leave the wiring there for it.

Remember that you'll also have to make a hole for the sound.

20130319_104651.jpg

Last edited: