Special Tool for Fuel Filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharlesUSMC

Reaction score
So I am planning on changing my fuel filter and was going to do it today. But now I read online that you need a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines. Do I have to get this fuel filter tool or can i manage without it?
fueltool.jpg

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can do mine without a tool, but you have a an 01, so don't know. Take a look, and see? Either way, I think the tool is like 4 bucks.

04DrBlur

Reaction score
I have a 2000 and the tool was required. I used the long plastic rental tool and it sucked. If you buy the tool in your picture it will be much easier.

Paul S

Reaction score
If this is the first time it is a little harder to do. Buy the tool. It makes life very easy and is well worth the cost.

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
I bought mine for $7 at the auto parts store and it worked fine. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had that tool for over 15 years. E-150's- Expeditions etc. I have a 2007 EL and still need it plus knowledge how to get the other side off with those damn plastic clips.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i bought one of those tools for my 98 and i broke 2 of them! those ones were cheap as hell, or i was just plain using them wrong! hahahah

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just recently bought one for my 98 expy, made it easier but you still need to find the right way.
clean the fuelline and in my case the filter was rusty so I sprayed some wd40 on it to let the tool go in smoothly.

It's only a couple of bucks.

just buy it and it will make things easier.

good luck

Alex

drtj

Reaction score
What sizes do they take to remove the lines?