Speed Bleeders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank R

Reaction score
I've got an intermittently dragging driver side front caliper on my '09 XLT. Also noticed it is pulling fairly severely to the right under hard braking. In hopes of remedying these issues, I'll be replacing the flex hoses in the coming days. Normally, when I do something like this I always install a set of speed bleeder screws as well for convenience sake. Problem is, I can't seem to find any to fit.

Am I missing something, or are these truly not available for our vehicles?

Thanks!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been searching online, but as usual can't find the simplest thing. If it was me, I'd pull a bleeder off your old caliper and measure the thread. It should be either 8 or 10 mm thread. Then measure pitch either with a metric tap and die pitch, and length of bleeder thread in mm. Hardware stores have a pitch gauge on the wall. At least Ace hardware does . Why not call Russel bleeders direct, or one of the online speed shops.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i assume your replacing the calipers as well, dragging brakes are caused by pistons not retracting, and this is caused most often than not from corrosion on the bore of the caliper and it catches the o ring and stops normal piston movement.
if its an 09...if it was mine, new calipers would be part of the mix
just my opinon

OP
OP
F

Frank R

Reaction score
i assume your replacing the calipers as well, dragging brakes are caused by pistons not retracting, and this is caused most often than not from corrosion on the bore of the caliper and it catches the o ring and stops normal piston movement.
if its an 09...if it was mine, new calipers would be part of the mix
just my opinon

I appreciate the input. I'm going to start with the hoses and see if that clears up the issue. Collapsed hoses will cause the same symptoms and seem to be a fairly common issue on these from my limited research. If I was doing a caliper swap, I'd do the hoses as well, so I figure I'll start with the simplest/cheapest and work my way up from there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible an imploded hose would cause both applying and releasing problems of caliper. Like you said, it's cheap enough to do. All your out is hose price, some fluid, and an hour or so of your time.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I'm going to start with the hoses and see if that clears up the issue. Collapsed hoses will cause the same symptoms and seem to be a fairly common issue on these from my limited research. If I was doing a caliper swap, I'd do the hoses as well, so I figure I'll start with the simplest/cheapest and work my way up from there.

Agreed. Cheapest way first.
Hoses are harder to get loose from brake like than to replace caliper usually, but calipers don't really stick any more than hoses go bad and cause sticking.

I test and never replace almost ANY part until IT is the problem.
You can tell when you use c-clamp to push piston in if caliper is harder to push than normal.
I always lube under rubber seal to make caliper smoother ans last longer too.

If one is harder, I crack hose loose and if its the caliper, it will still be stiff. If it's hose the caliper will be a lot looser.
Most times a brake hose that's bad will keep the caliper tight for about 1.5-2 seconds after you let off the brake pedal.
Have someone push it as you try to turn rotor with caliper in place. Say UP and as soon as they let off pedal the rotor should turn. If it is tight but in 1-2 seconds turns easily, it's probably hose. If it stays tight and drags its probably caliper.
You can often lift up the dust seal as I mentioned and blow it out with air, then maybe wd-40, then I use Lucas Chain Lube to go all around. Do this when piston is still in out position then push it in.
Often if you do this and lube a couple of times, a sticky caliper will be perfect for years.
A shame so many don't even offer easily available caliper kits. My old E-450 kits were only 4.86 a caliper.
So easy to rebuild. One of mine was leaking not sticking.
Right after I bough it the same side had a leaking axle seal getting gear lube on pads/rotor. I fixed that and wore a set of pads out in 4-5 years and then the same side caliper leaked. The other side never did. Sold it with the other caliper kit in back storage.
I wonder if that side was run hot or brake pad metal on rotor and replaced or what before I got it. Right side, probably just more bumps and holes hit on that side and curbed tire more.
Very heavy duty though.
Dana 60 or larger dually with huge rotors and calipers.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
With the salt on the roads up here, calipers are usually toast after 10 years. Most still work, but when they start acting up they are so full of rust that it's time to go. And you have to see what rotors look like with ten years of road salt.

OP
OP
F

Frank R

Reaction score
With the salt on the roads up here, calipers are usually toast after 10 years. Most still work, but when they start acting up they are so full of rust that it's time to go. And you have to see what rotors look like with ten years of road salt.

I hear ya on the road salt. Nasty stuff, and the damn brine solution they are spraying now is even worse.

Everything looked pretty well rust free on my pre-sale inspection, but i'll take a better look around when I'm doing the hose and replace whatever needs to be done.

Still can't believe they don't make a speed bleeder for these. Don't know that I've ever owned a vehicle I couldn't get them for.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why bother with speed bleeder. You can buy a vacuum pump cheap on internet or used, has all the brake bleeder adapters. Before I got a compressor and bleeder plastic tank, I used a cheap one from Napa for years. Cost me like $40.00, and I used it for everything. Checking headlight vacuum doors, Lincoln parking brake release, anything that required vacuum. If not, a piece of clear hose into a jar, and a friend you can share a 6 pack with, is another way. Just remember to order the pepperoni pizza, extra cheese!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only way I've ever bled brakes has been the someone else sitting inside and me yelling down, up, down, up, down. And I'm real loud too. I love my neighbors. I often add certain little noises in there with some moans and stuff like that just to make it more interesting.