Squeaky brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neal

Reaction score
My name is Neal I drive a '98 Ford Expedition, all stock, it's my daily driver. I've been reading all through the forums with various posts for a few weeks now, and now I can finally post!

Anyway, my brakes have been annoying the hell out of me and everyone else on the road. They seem to work just fine, but they squeak so bad. I've never worked on the brakes on these so I just wanted to get a heads up on what kind of a challenge I'm in for. I figured I'd do it on a nice weekend (whenever we get one of those). Any ideas or what all I'm looking at replacing, I know it's hard to say without looking at it, but just trying to prepare myself as much as I can ahead of time!

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok 1st thing.when you hit the brakes does your streeing wheel shake?
2. look at the rotors r there any deep groves in the rotor?

3.does it pull to side or the other?

4.where is the sqeek coming from front or back?

OP
OP
N

Neal

Reaction score
No shaking in the steering wheel, doesn't pull to any sides. I wouldn't know there was a problem if I was deaf.

It's hard to say where it's coming from could be both the front and the back.

And I'll have to get back with you on the rotors since it really hasn't been good weather to jack up the expo and take off any of the tires.

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can stick your hand tru the wheel and run your fingers over the rotor before you drive it. cuz if you do it after you drive you'll burn your fingers. but if there r no deep grove's you could resurface the rotors.make sure you check the inside of the rotor cuz the inside pad thens to wear down qwiker cuz thats the side with the piston on the calipers.
so if the rotors r ok your brake pads r glazed or there might be dirt stuck in them.if thats the case new pads will do the trick.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack, but if my steering wheel shakes when I brake, they're warped? I guess I'm going to need to go to some Brembos eventually.

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
elvato 9 out of 10 times yes there are. i just did baer 6 piston on my sexpo. they r a little cheaper in price and if you go brimbo's i would do 8 piston cal. because the 6 piston cal. replace pads cost 2 times as much then the 8's.

8 piston pads=$250
6 piston pads=$450

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the money to but bigger brakes on mine. :(

When I said Brembos, I meant the Brembo rotors they have at tirerack.com. Pretty decent price. Those, and maybe some Hawk pads should do the trick.