start but wont idle after transmission install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally got the transmission installed and the truck wont run. It starts tight up like it should but wont idle. I can give it some gas and it kinda runs but it backfires and sounds like it is only firing once in awhile. Not drive-able at all. I have checked some vacuum lines and found none to be unplugged one was cracked so I cut it and reinstalled. The exhaust is mostly rotted off so I'm about to cut it off. I'm wondering if some critter made a home in it because the time I kept it running for a few minuets I could smell a burning smell that reminded me of when I had a rat nest in the exhaust of a lawn mower.

It had almost 3/4 of a tank from around last March so I put stabilizer in it and threw 5 gallons of 93 non ethanol still no help. I smell that it is rich after trying to keep it running and it back fires a whole lot. I talked to a buddy and he said to test the egr, map and the oil pressure sending unit.

It has oil pressure but from the reading I did I can only test the egr and map with the truck running and it wont do that so I'm at a loss of what to do. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

1999 ford expedition, 5.4 4r100

poorboy1964

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you any way to scan it for codes? I'm thinking something did not get hooked back up is there a check engine light on?

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Batt was flat dead so I replaced it. Had a friend stop by with a scan tool and no codes were throwing. Replaced fuel filter. I'm going have someone start it while I tap the iac.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fresh fuel is definitely a good idea. A friend of mine picked up a 98 Eddie Bauer recently. He sprayed the throttle body real good, and ran it. He said it ran great after. Seems weird all your problems started after trans install. Look to make sure oxygen wires didn't get knocked or pinched.if you've got wonky Exaust it's going to run lean, and cause all kinds of headaches. Sounds like you have more than one issue. Keep in touch. Do a fuel pressure test, a failing or clogged pump will also cause headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cleaned the IAC and all I can say is Ford engineers are a bunch of bastards. Cleaning it did not help. I didn't get clear info on how much and how free the plunger inside of it should be. I can move it but it doesn't spring back either direction. Is that normal? It moves less than a 1/4. I tried asking the guys at the dealership I work at what they thought and no body really gave me an idea of where to start except drain the tank and our shop doesn't have a transfer pup I can borrow. I'm going to do a little more searching on how the IAC should function and if mine is moving like it should I will definitely drain the tank blow out the lines and change fuel filter next. With being able to smell raw fuel when I try to run it I'm concerned that I'm going to foul the cats.

and docraymund the plugs have less that 30000 on them. Could be far less id have to find my note book I was keeping that somehow disappeared.

1955moose I was very careful not to damage anything when doing the trans but I will look everything over again. But as far as connections go the harness was long enough that I could of plugged either speed sensors on the trans in to either plug and they look exactly the same. I also cut the exhaust off behind the cats. It was rotting off and I was kinda hoping that something made a home and that was the issue but no go on that.

IT might be the weekend before I can mess with it again. I don't get home from work till 6 and I don't have a garage so working in the rock driveway in the dark and cold sucks. thanks for all the help guys. This forum has helped me many times

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your smelling fuel, it's possible your fuel pressure regulator is failing. Remove vacuum line from it, see if any fuel comes out of vacuum hose. Do the pressure test. Let us know what you've got. You'll get a high reading if the regulator failed. Probably 70psi or higher. I didn't notice, did you ever get any Dtc trouble codes with the scanner. Let us know this weekend. Moose.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You still need to inspect the spark plugs for fouling. Its the first step in diagnosis. And dont change any part unless proven defective. Start early morning so you would have more time to work.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just pull 1 or 2 and check. These Suv's are a nightmare with spark plugs. Why risk thread failure pulling all 8? Pull a couple of easy ones, sat 1 and 5, and check. If their fouled, then pull them all. Bottom line Doc, he's got to figure out why their fouling.