Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackmldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever since I started driving my car and mom has the expy she said that every now and then when she turns the key it will make a grinding sound. Similar to the one that will happen if you accidentally turned the key while it's already on. I checked all the lines going to the starter and they're tight. Could it be the starter just going bad or the solenoid? I mean it has 270K on it and needs replacement. Just wanted to ask if it could be anything else before I replaced.
Thanks guys,
Jack

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is making the really loud grinding sound that you describe then its the starter not engaging the flywheel fully... needs new starter or you have damaged teeth on the flywheel but most likley its the starter it will fail altogether soon most likley and if you keep running it for an extended time it can damage the teeth on the flywheel

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would change the starter and if you look inside the hole where the nose cone of the starter goes you can see a portion of the teeth..... its most likley the starter causing your problems though

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no prob...... the longer you let it go the more likley it is to do some damage or fail altogether and leave ya stranded somewhere