Steering feels like power steering is sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkmonday

Reaction score
2014 with 150k I've noticed over the past week my steering feels like the power steering is starting to fail. The steering feels a bit sticky and doesn't return back to straight as easy. Fluid level is fine. No leaks. Temp here in ct has dropped into the 20s/30s this past week and admittedly I haven't lubed the front end points lately...which I will do tomorrow. Power steering motor doesn't whine and fluid doesn't smell burned. Going to lube up front end tomorrow afternoon but is there anyone who's experienced this and what should I look for? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
blkmonday

blkmonday

Reaction score
I currently have the steering shaft u joint soaking in white lithium grease to see if thays the culprit. Have to work tonight so I'll see if there's a difference driving it then

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have just bought a 2013 with 117K and the steering feels a bit tight to me. I am comparing to my 2001 that has an entirely rebuilt front end and new Michelin tires. The 2013 tires are wider, so I expect that. But definitely the 2001 is more nimble.

OP
OP
blkmonday

blkmonday

Reaction score
Update..spraying white lithium grease on the steering shaft joints definitely helped. I think that's my problem. Should be ok for now but going to have to replace that steering shaft at some point. Anyone done this and how hard of a job? Part price doesn't look bad just wondering if I should do it myself

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not really hard, hard part for me was getting shaft to line up and get bolt back in. plenty of write ups and videos on f 150 fourm and utube. went thru alotblaster before I had a chance to replace. It also would lock up from making a turn would not return to straight ahesd driving.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update..spraying white lithium grease on the steering shaft joints definitely helped. I think that's my problem. Should be ok for now but going to have to replace that steering shaft at some point. Anyone done this and how hard of a job? Part price doesn't look bad just wondering if I should do it myself
Is this the lower steering shaft where it enters the steering box? On my 2001, the knuckle / u-joint that clamps to the shaft in the steering box became totally worn because it was aluminum and the shaft, hardened knurled steel . I was days from having no steering at all. An expensive repair and dangerous situation.