Stiff steering... what could it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Hey guys so my 05 expy has a pretty stiff steering situation going on, now before you say power steering pump... I changed it with a new (not rebuilt) motorcraft unit back when i did my motor swap frenzy, that was about a year ago...maybe?

Anyways I'm not sure what the suspect here is, I know when a power steering pump is bad you get basicaly no power steering unless you gas it when trying to turn the wheels and mine isn't doing that.

Mine is stiff all the time, regardless of throttle input of speed or whatever scnario you might throw at me, thing is its not overly stiff like that for a failing or a failed power steering pump, I mean I can still turn the wheel one handed but a little effort is required and it wasn' like that before, before I can turn the wheel with a finger.... those days are long gone now I must say.

Anyways, anyone who knows how this system works please chime in with any helpful insight on the possible cause, maybe a bad pressure hose? Rack & pinion? Something suspension related?

Oh on a side note, there is no noise or whine happening and the fluid level is full... and has been that way since the new pump replacemet.

Well thanks in advance

LargeJoMaMa

Reaction score
When I first bought mine it had the same issue that you describe. I also checked the things that you checked. Turns out it was just a simple binding issue in the shaft itself. A little deep penetrating WD 40 and some white lithium grease fixed it. Apply, turn the wheel. Apply turn the wheel. Spray right at the first u joint. Worked for me... Eventually getting a new shaft but that fixed it. Hope it helps...

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
When I first bought mine it had the same issue that you describe. I also checked the things that you checked. Turns out it was just a simple binding issue in the shaft itself. A little deep penetrating WD 40 and some white lithium grease fixed it. Apply, turn the wheel. Apply turn the wheel. Spray right at the first u joint. Worked for me... Eventually getting a new shaft but that fixed it. Hope it helps...

I will try that, thanks bud.

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok I lubed the u-joints on the steering shaft. I'm gonna go test drive it and I'll report back if anything is improved.

Edit: yea that didn't really help, its still stiff.

Last edited:

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The u-joints on the steering shaft are known to stiffen up. My 07 did just what you are describing. There are 2 u-joints on the shaft. I sprayed both really good took it for a ride and sprayed them again. Depending how bad they are you might need to spray them multiple times. If you are only feeling it at certain spots when you turn the wheel the the u-joints may be getting ready to come apart. This video shows what you want to look for.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my 05 about a year and a half after I put a new pump on. My fluid was contaminated with some moisture. I took the return line off of the pump and ran it into an empty jug. Then added some cheap fluid to flush out the system a few times. After that I buttoned her up and refilled... I haven't had an issue since.

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Maybe the PS fluid line is pinched somewhere?

Good thought, I check tomorrow morning, thanks bud.

Also I lubed all 3 steering column u-joints 2 under the hood & 1 under the dash again but I haven' driven it since so I'll reupdate once a test drive is conducted.

Seichin7

Reaction score
Just another anecdotal story. I also lubed my steering shaft U-joints on my 2007 expedition. It did help for about 3-4 weeks. I ended up replacing the shaft with a Motorcraft replacement. Fordtechmakuloco did a video which is referenced in post #6. Keep in mind that my steering shaft is slightly different, but the advice from his video was spot on.