strange grinding noise ( not brakes )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano100

Reaction score
Had intermittent grinding noise...felt like it might have been in the brakes...and then went away. Any ideas?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Brakes or wheel bearing. Break noises generally vary/go away with/without brake pressure. Bearing noises generally change on turns...

OP
OP
D

dano100

Reaction score
Thank you Eddie! Had all 4 wheels pulled yesterday and brakes checked out ok. So I guess if/when it happens again, I'll be headed for bearings check next. Please comment if you have a recommendation. I think it felt like front left when I heard it but I'll be better informed now. Test drove it this morning and nothing at city speed...straight or with turns

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Bearings are difficult to diagnose at times, though someone with experience will know the sound. The good thing is that they do get worse before they cause real trouble. Then you can usually track down the offender. When you make turns, the outside wheel usually quiets as the weight is lifted from it.

Another thing to check is the system that actuates the four wheel drive. It's activated by vacuum, and at times if not completely disengaged, the front hubs can make a grinding or wurring sound.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always post your year/engine size, whether 2 or 4wheel drive. Without this info, were kinda guessing. With it, another member could have had same issue, on same vehicle.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk