Strong Fuel Smell after Refueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. I haven’t been able to get mine to read that high on the DTE unless I’m driving like a grandma which I did the other day on a 300 mile trip:
599312ef0c8ccc15872397067e7caf8a.jpg2b84ae818ccd5478ab692450e909f65e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

25 highway MPG???? Daaaammn

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really?! Are you serious, smell of GAS in the GAS Cap!!!! Come on guys common sense, gas vapors are dense they hang around for a while, we can smell concnetraions as small as 1/4 of 1ppm. Nobody is using common sense
here apparently. It’s freakin has people! The shit smells, it gets on your clothes, in ur car, on your hands. Chill out, if there’s not a puddle under ur car then forget about it. Jesus...

I worry about you guys sometimes.

Ok, let me explain this differently. We are only mentioning filling up as a data point that the smell is most noticeable with the tank full. Just like someone might say, I hear a grinding noise when hitting a bump. Got it?

The smell can last for days after the fill-up and has nothing to do with spilling gas.

So you guys who dont read very well, get off your smart a$$ comments, your only showing your ignorance.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score

Ok, let me explain this differently. We are only mentioning filling up as a data point that the smell is most noticeable with the tank full. Just like someone might say, I hear a grinding noise when hitting a bump. Got it?

The smell can last for days after the fill-up and has nothing to do with spilling gas.

So you guys who dont read very well, get off your smart a$$ comments, your only showing your ignorance.
Yeah I smell burnt rubber when I slam on the gas pedal too? Should I be worried my tires will explode?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score

I can open up my gas cap 3 weeks after filling up with 43 miles left in the tank and I can smell gas.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I be worried that I have a really strong exhaust smell if I put my nose in my tail pipe and turn the truck on?

Yes, your exhaust pipe should not exhibit any smell while running, usually means a destabilized fluxshaft which is only generally caused by overcranking of the crank gear liners full port alternator. In short your motor is toast, shame.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jon, is this fuel smell recent? Or have you noticed it for a while now. I fill my first edition higher than I should, and I don't notice any smell. Keep in mind my vehicle is 18 year's old. You've probably got a vapor hose or emissions valve that's not behaving. It could be a little pricy to diagnose and repair, or not. I say keep a nose on it for now, if you don't have any visible leaks, and go from there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Over 150,000 miles and I always fill the '04 until the filler opening is full with gas.....

ExpyOnly

Reaction score
I had strong fuel smell. Seemed to come from the rear passenger wheel well area. I took off the fuel tank. Picture is related. I'm waiting on my overnight shipping on a new fuel pump. I thought that it could have just been the gasket. I broke a piece of the fuel pump taking it out.

20180927_224253.jpg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Usually any kind of fuel vapor leak will give you a "Check Engine" light and send a code. That's because the car pressurizes its fuel vapor system each drive cycle and checks it for leaks. But an actual fuel leak, like the one above, if the system still holds vacuum won't send a code.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can open up my gas cap 3 weeks after filling up with 43 miles left in the tank and I can smell gas.
What's a gas cap? My 17 has no such thing, I've looked everywhere for it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk