Stuck fuel injector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 1997 5.4 Expedition. After sitting over night, it blowes white smoke out the tailpipe. My first thought was I blew a head gasket but driving it up the street, the smoke cleared. I've been checking my oil and coolant and haven't lost any. No muck in the oil or radiator. I have no codes, it runs perfect and isn't show any signs other than the smoke on start up. It's a stark white smoke so it doesn't appear to be valve seals. Today I check my fuel rail for pressure, no guage, just seeing if it squirted from the valve and there was no pressure. I turned the key on and back off, checked again and had pressure.
Long story short, can a struck injector cause white smoke on start up but give no other signs with the engine running?

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
White smoke is water (steam). A white/bluish smoke is oil.
If you had a stuck injector, you would get black smoke very briefly from the rich burning condition.
If it does it after sitting I would guess that you have some leaky valve stem seals causing oil to drip into the cylinders. Does it smoke a little during deceleration?
To answer your question, not an injector.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's just moisture accumulated in the exhaust system after a long sit and cold weather outside.