Sub box info?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rolo

Reaction score
Have a 2000 expedition xlt I was wondering what are the dimensions of your sub box. I was wanting to put 2 10's behind the third row but don't want it to be to big that I can't fit anything else back there thanks

RHSC

Reaction score
The size of the sub box depends on the subs you put into it. Each sub has a specific amount of air space inside the box that it needs to function properly. It also depends on what kind of box that you want. Sealed box will give you nice tight bass, where as a ported or bandpass box will give you more boomy bass. Sealed boxes tend to be smaller in size, so this may be the way you want to go.
To calculate the air space inside the box---Height x Width x Depth divided by 1728 = Cubic feet of air space inside the box. Example 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728---1728 divided by 1728 = 1 cu/ft
Any subs that you buy should come with a manual that will tell you the recomended air space for each sub. If you want a ported box (more boomy bass) many manuals will tell you the size of the port needed in the box for the amount of air space you have. You can also call the manufacturer, or look it up online.
If you are going to build the box yourself, use MDF, medium density fiberboard. You can get it at Home Depot or a place like it. Use good wood glue, screws, and silicone, and your good to go. Good luck.