Sunroof Drains 2008 Expedition EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misspelledone

Reaction score
How many drains are there for the sunroof? I have found the two in the front corner, is there any in the rear corners? If so could someone post a picture?

The truck is a 2008 Expedition EL with a DVD player full of water.

Thanks!
Chris

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4. Two in the front drain down the A-pillars and two in the rear I believe, don't quote me on this, drain behind the C-pillar, draining ahead of the rear tires on both sides. Again, going off memory, I believe they drain onto the backside of the rear wheel well splash shields. Unless somebody else chimes in, I'll make an effort tonight to pour a bottle of water into my moonroof surround and see if I can see where it exits.

Ford had issued a TSB years ago where the moonroof would not seal all the way, allowing water in. Water brings in dirt & muck which clog the tubes. TSB SI-20008. Here is a link:
2008 Ford Expedition TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | FordProblems.com

Keep in mind a TSB is not a recall.

Over the years (on a variety of makes/models) I've found that very thin, cheap weedeater line does a fantastic job of acting as a roto-rooter. Using compressed air is a good way to separate any in-line connections.

2012-01-19_222541_a1.jpg

The drains are marked as #7 and #8

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

misspelledone

Reaction score
From on top of the truck I can see the front tubes. Totally clean and water flows right through no problems.

However I can not see the back ones at all. They gotta be way back in the assembly. How do you access these? I pulled the weatherstrips and pulled down on the headline a bit and realized I have side curtain airbags.

So how the heck does one access these rear drains? And is there a way to actually view that whole TSB?

Thanks again!

Jubilee

Reaction score
My Expedition has leaked due to Sunroof since under warenty. Ford is unhelpful. The mechanic at Ford said it is a design flaw. I think it is dangerous as water has come through the lights and also seems to have hurt the heating of the seat. It ruins items left in door pocket also. I keep hoping for a recall. My other sunroof car sits in same outside areas and has never leaked and its a GM 2002

OP
OP
M

misspelledone

Reaction score
So does anyone know how to get to the rear tubes? Do you go up from underneath the truck? I sure as hell can see them when I am sticking my head out of the sunroof. The front ones are easy to see and clean, but I just don't know where the rear ones are located so I can snake them out.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Over the weekend I was able to take closer look. I opened the sunroof and with mirrors and flashlights, I also cannot see the rear drains. Poured a bottle of water in mine and found where the rear drains exit. Appears the rear tubes run down into the C-pillar and drain into the rocker panels. I physically cannot see the tube end. When I crawled under the truck, my bottled water was draining out of the weep holes between the pinch welds on the lower rockers.

I opened the rear doors, pulled down the weatherstripping, and gently pry'd down the headliner. At about the middle of the rear door frame you can see the drain tubes exit the moonroof frame. I too have the safety canopy airbags (which make viewing harder) and was able to follow the drain into the C-pillar. I suspect if you remove the rear seat belts and pull the rear section plastics away you can follow the drains better. I'd try this before dropping the headliner.

Word of caution, the door frame edges are extremely sharp and will easily slice your hands once you've pulled back the rubber door seals.